Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt6; Porthleven

If you’ve missed any of the previous postings, the links follow below: 

In case I forget later, any species ID corrections are always gratefully appreciated

28th September Porthleven

This was a last minute decision to visit Porthleven, often famous for the pictures of storm waves lashing over the community hall clock tower. To see what I mean, type Porthleven Storm into a browser and view some of the images suggested. Though a couple of days after Storm Agnes, we didn’t see any spectacular waves, though they did make for some interesting memories.

The harbour

The famous clock tower, where storm waves often wash over

Not quite wildlife, but an interesting fact, Guy Gibson, famously of the Dambusters Squadron from WWII, was born in Porthleven. The plaque is on the community centre, where the  clock tower is.

a shag

What was very interesting, a shag that was riding and diving the waves. Sadly the photos I took of the shag out at sea were out of focus, but it had made a fine art of ducking and riding  the waves.

Apparently, Porthleven has a celebrity moggie, called Reggie. Reggie is often seen outside the Cornish Fudge Van.

Cornwall Live: Couple travels 320 miles to meet famous Cornwall cat

What better way to end a final day in Cornwall....

At "The Most Southerly Fish & chip Shop in Britain with a Working Fishing Port"

Hopefully this report wasn’t quite so intense. There were a couple of seals just off shore riding the waves, but they kept just out of suitable range to photograph.  Probably knowing perfectly where the rocks and  low water levels, plus the fish stocks to feed on. So no photos of them, likewise the shag that was out at sea, again no photos, but all very interesting to watch how the rode the waves.