Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt2

If you’ve managed to survive the first posting of Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt1, here's part 2. For those who missed part 1; "Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt1 The Eden Project (long report may need bookmarking)", for those who missed it, CLICK HERE.

Not so long this time....

In case I forget later, any species ID corrections are always gratefully appreciated

The daily holiday view, even looked this good on a dull day

One of the many local beach walks, a juvenile black headed gull

A daily visitor to the patio, one of two rock pipits

A Cornwall beach sunset

and with the Star 6 filter....

zoomed out

Atlantic Coasters in the evening light

A bit of a stormy look to the morning sky!

Thankfully short lived and the day turned out ok.

Morab Gardens, Penzance

A favourite place for both of us is Penzance. Mrs PR loves the shops, while I love looking around the harbour, and particularly Battery Rocks, which surrounds the Lido called; Jubilee Pool.

There’s always plenty of dinosaurorants, turnstones and this time little ringed plovers, and sunshine!

Waves incoming to Mounts Bay..

and plenty of little ringed plovers

More dinosauromants...

and little ringed plovers

This one decided to have a wash.

likewise this turnstone also enjoying a splash

more turnstones

turnstones and little ringed plovers community

and a turnstone to end this part with.

Part 3 to follow another day

• those are very good close up photos Mike. I have been to Cornwal in 2004 that wasnt birdwatching though cause I had a phobia of Wildlife as a Child and a teenager and so avoided them at all costs back then

I didnt go to Cornwall as a teenager though. but when I was older me and my family went again. and me and my family have started visiting abit more.

me and my family hsve stayed near loe and visited Loe bay in Cornwall so not the same place but still on the Lizard.

the next time I went to Cornwall after that was a memorable holiday where there was lots of Wildlife activatys and I went pond dipping and I fpund a tiny dragonfly that was very difficult to catch the man in charge of pond dipping had to look at it under a microscope and said I discovered a new type of dragonfly they havnt seen in Cornwal and not seen before in pond dipping and the man was very exited and said he would write a name down for it so others can try snd find it pond dipping and then a tawny owl walk where we went looking for Tawny owls at dusk Cornwall is one of the places i like going on holiday to im going to be going to Cornwall again next year with my family cause we like it but we arnt going where you went

the black headed gull in your photo is a black headed gull in Autumn/Winter plummage

• A great selection of photo's Mike, I do like the Little Ringed Plovers :)

We stayed at Perranporth last year and had a trip to Penzance. Didn't see the Morab Gardens, a place to keep in mind for another visit...
  • I have survived looking at your photos about 3 times now MIke lol...oh a do wish a trip to Cornwall. Nice to see the Rock pipit on their daily visit to yous again.
    Such bright and lovely pic...just what we need on gloomy December day
    Thanks for sharing

I take it yous have booked for next year again lol

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Some fantastic shots Mike!
    Just wondering... are those plovers definitely little ringed plovers? I think they might be better for ringed plovers - although I could easily be wrong!
    Just there is no distinct eye ring which is usually seen for little ringed

Regards

Benji

• Zo Clark said:

those are very good close up photos Mike. I have been to Cornwal in 2004 that wasnt birdwatching though cause I had a phobia of Wildlife as a Child and a teenager and so avoided them at all costs back then

I didnt go to Cornwall as a teenager though. but when I was older me and my family went again. and me and my family have started visiting abit more.

me and my family hsve stayed near loe and visited Loe bay in Cornwall so not the same place but still on the Lizard.

the next time I went to Cornwall after that was a memorable holiday where there was lots of Wildlife activatys and I went pond dipping and I fpund a tiny dragonfly that was very difficult to catch the man in charge of pond dipping had to look at it under a microscope and said I discovered a new type of dragonfly they havnt seen in Cornwal and not seen before in pond dipping and the man was very exited and said he would write a name down for it so others can try snd find it pond dipping and then a tawny owl walk where we went looking for Tawny owls at dusk Cornwall is one of the places i like going on holiday to im going to be going to Cornwall again next year with my family cause we like it but we arnt going where you went

the black headed gull in your photo is a black headed gull in Autumn/Winter plummage

I've been past Loe Bar in years gone by.

I did wonder about the BHG in autumn/winter plumage, but also felt with it's activities seemingly juvenile. But I do appreciate the suggestion, I'm still learning.

• SnappyMac said:
    A great selection of photo's Mike, I do like the Little Ringed Plovers :)

We stayed at Perranporth last year and had a trip to Penzance. Didn't see the Morab Gardens, a place to keep in mind for another visit...

Thank you.

I wondered how soon before someone recognised Chapel Rock. If you know Perranporth, we stayed just below Droskin Castle, which provided the backdrop for the sunsets.

Definitely a worth a visit to Morab Gardens, it was a shame that the weather at the time was so dull. Morab Gardens is between the top end of Market Jew Street and West Promenade Road, to the west of Jubilee Pool.

Likewise Battery Rocks, the waterfowl  there is just superb, and when the tide is out, even just a little, the rockpools are often full of crabs, blenny and many other species. A circular polariser often help to get clear images of rockpool life, on a decent sunny day.

• Linda257 said:
    I have survived looking at your photos about 3 times now MIke lol...oh a do wish a trip to Cornwall. Nice to see the Rock pipit on their daily visit to yous again.
    Such bright and lovely pic...just what we need on gloomy December day
    Thanks for sharing

I take it yous have booked for next year again lol

You're welcome.

A quick word of warning, there's  more to follow, and yes, booked again for next year.

• BenjiS said:
    Some fantastic shots Mike!
    Just wondering... are those plovers definitely little ringed plovers? I think they might be better for ringed plovers - although I could easily be wrong!
    Just there is no distinct eye ring which is usually seen for little ringed

Thank you Benji.

You could be right. I did wonder about them being juvenile, but as always, I'm open to corrections and suggestions.

• Michael B said:
    Michael B said:

Im good at identifying gulls and I see black headed gulls alot. its a most likely than it  just a sugestion as such.but as for where you said im still learning.

yes people  never stop learning and that is the case regardless of peoples age, gender, kmoledge, skill levels etc which means it doesnt make any differemce weather someone is an beginner, intermediate or exspert or how much any one knows in anything in life you will still keep learning even without being aware of it and learning can be fun and enjoyable exspecialy when it comes to things you enjoy like birding. when it comes to learning exspecialy in birding even if your still learning you will get there 

Black headed gulls can be quiet childlike in a sense and have been known to play. one of there favourate is a game called catch the leaf. I find they can also be curious and exsperimental  aswell as playful. so can act abit like kids in that sense which is why I tend to describe them as haveing a tendancy to be quiet childlike so I dont know if maybe there curious and playful nature possibly made them apear to behave as if still un exsperianced or quit Juvinile when you saw it walking around or doing whatever it was doing possibly or if it was other traits instead. oviously theres the way it behaved that made you wonder if it could be Juvinile but there is also plummage to consider not just behavior.

Juvinile black headed gulls or gulls growing into there adult plummage will usualy still have some Juvinile plummage left until they fully become adults so juviniles usualy  have brown streaks from back before they were ready to start to grow into there adult plummage.

also exspecialy during Autumn and winter Black headeded gulls develop into there non breeding plummage 

when Juveniles Black headed gulls become adults and when are ready to breed  they will develop there black hoods so there summer plummage is also called breeding plummage when breeding season is over they eventualy develop there non breeding plummage .until  breeding season then its non breeding plummage so this gull is in Autumn and winter plummage.  (non Breeding plummage) I hope this helps. 

as for cornwall and loe bay the holidqy where I went to Loe bay that one I went crabbing for the very first time so that too was a memorable holiday for me and my family im glad you enjoyed the trip to cornwall

• Zo Clark said:
    Juvinile black headed gulls or gulls growing into there adult plummage will usualy still have some Juvinile plummage left until they fully become adults so juviniles usualy  have brown streaks from back before they were ready to start to grow into there adult plummage.

And there's definitely no brown streaks on that one.  Thumbsup