Catch-Up Post #4 Minsmere again 15/11

So the 14th we went in to Ipswich and to Snape Maltings to give Mrs PB a bit of a birdie rest (plus the weather was a bit pants!), and the 15th dawned luvverly, with less of a howling gale than the Monday so we headed out with high hopes. From the pub car park headed toward the reserve a flock of Lapwing

And a Maggie in the tree top

Through the reception and on to the reserve, this time ignoring Snappy in my head for the fungi.. a distinctive noise, and my usual fabulous... Jay

Overhead, the first of many Cormorant flotillas

Not sure if this is the same Rabbit as previously, there were a few about

Nice light and less wind aided the tracking feature on the camera... 4 out of 32 images without using the burst mode, just having to keep the gull in the frame... fabulous tech!

Almost at the beach, a Robin

As we walked along the beach to South Hide, the next flotilla!

Meadow Pipit (thanks Linda)

There were a few Stonechat skipping about

More Pipitiness

Mmmmm Brunch

The stiller conditions seemed to bring out quite a lot of Common Darter

Readying himself for winter.. this Dunnock was well fed up (in more ways than one!!)

It was still a bit choppy!

After all the distractions along the beach, we made it to the hide, in time for Goldeneye (think this might be my first proper "wild" one with cheek spot, seen others at Slimbridge and Martin Mere WWT's)

Also, first Pintail

Again, most of the ducks stayed a ways away and as we headed back to the centre again, more Stonechat action

There was only occasional corvid action

Again, we stopped for some lunch, then headed over the other side of the reserve, me still bemoaning the lack of nuthatch and treecreeper, instead there were some more fungi

As we got in to Bittern Hide, one of the viewers said that there was a Kingfisher in the curve of the reeds... so there was... light was a tad dim though

Then... someone said.... Is that a Hen Harrier?... By jiminy.. another first for me, but a bit distant

And then it drifted off further into the gloom, so attention all turned back to the Kingie that had sat waiting patiently!

Looking at the times of the photographs, it was 2 seconds from initiating dive to landing with a fish!

And then he decided enough was enough!

We headed on to the last hide, and got a passing glimpse of another marshy

And then the classic contrast of man and the environment

We headed back to the car park, and as if to say goodbye a Robin was by reception

And so concluded our time in Suffolk. 

Despite seeing several new species I think we both found it a little disappointing (perhaps our expectations were too high for November), but I'm putting it down to awful weather the week before we arrived, and not especially pleasant weather whilst we were there. A trip back in sunnier and less windy times is definitely on the cards though.

Thanks all for viewing, I hope you enjoyed

Stay Safe All