NEW RSPB WEBSITE COMING SOON!?!?

Should I wish you all a merry Xmas the now??

Not many details!

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Linda257 said:
    If I worked in IT I would have an answer for you Ian...I know the inside parts of a computer much better than I know software so am afraid I do not have the solution.

So if there is no permanent solution! Maybe a permanent shutdown of this RSPB Community Forum should happen  As it seems the RSPB support there Facebook and Twitter(X) websites, more than the RSPB Community Forum at the present time!

Regards,

Ian.

• Outwith our control Ian..but my membership isn't ;-)

• stealthybutnotthatstealthy said:
    I still think the community should be 'members only'. I also still think the site should be shut down, broken links and all, unless/until there is an appropriate level of moderation.....if it isn't going to be made members only......

That would certainly make it easier to control what is happening but has implications in cost to altering the Software to enable membership checking, even though it would mean losing some contributors. Would RSPB opt for new software or attempt to get this software amended - or would closing the Community down be an easier option?

I totally agree with your earlier comments regarding the call for VolunteerModerators and their roles. It looked to me as if Moderation on here would be a long way down their list of tasks.

• Linda257 said:
    Outwith our control Ian..but my membership isn't ;-)

I didn’t say anything my membership either! My comment is! Maybe the RSPB Community should be shut down on a permanent basis! If no solution can be found about this past and present problem!

Regards,

Ian.

• Bobs_Retired said:

stealthybutnotthatstealthy said:
    I still think the community should be 'members only'. I also still think the site should be shut down, broken links and all, unless/until there is an appropriate level of moderation.....if it isn't going to be made members only......

That would certainly make it easier to control what is happening but has implications in cost to altering the Software to enable membership checking, even though it would mean losing some contributors. Would RSPB opt for new software or attempt to get this software amended - or would closing the Community down be an easier option?

I totally agree with your earlier comments regarding the call for VolunteerModerators and their roles. It looked to me as if Moderation on here would be a long way down their list of tasks.

I agree with all of that as well! That is the only way forward! Otherwise this forum shut be shut down!

Regards,

Ian.

• The situation is outwith our control..if they close it down then they close it but I WILL end my membership if it happens

• Linda257 said:
    The situation is outwith our control..if they close it down then they close it but I WILL end my membership if it happens

It won’t end my membership! The RSPB do good work, of which I support. There are also things the RSPB do! that I do criticise. But if the RSPB don’t have the finance for this RSPB Community, that won’t end my membership. More important things than that. But the only way forward if there is no moderation, is what I suggested. If there is no other way. Maybe a shutdown of this community forum would be an easier option, but a difficult choice for the RSPB!

Regards,

Ian.

• Well your membership was already bought for a one off fee Ian so no much point in cancelling if you wished to . Me on the other hand pay £6 / month and I think I have another 40 years or so in me lol..would be cheaper just paying yo park if I were to visit an RSPB site that requires payment.
    It was this site that brought me to signing and and could easily make me sign off again. EACH TO THEIR OWN ;-)

• Not sure what the staff are doing, if anything, regarding the spam. Shouldn't take more than a few secs to delete whole profiles. It's almost as if some people are unavailable to log in.

Re membership only, the demand isn't there, and won't be with the current software. It just needs a member of staff who is paid to be responsible for the site to monitor 'new account' requests. When that member of staff is on holiday, a deputy covers. As it would be manual, I think we can accept occasional infiltration. It would be a drastic improvement on now though, and realistically none of what we are typing will be implemented.

I don't just blame RSPB. 21st Century UK has become a disorganised shambles where so few people know what they're doing and most of those have or are about to retire.
  • Well more and more spam has just re-appeared. So much for the fast speed of the RSPB!!

Regards,

Ian.