Nyjer seeds

Hi all 

I have a quick question, I know it’s autum so many birds are moulting, but I was looking to getting some Nyjer seeds for winter and I am just curious, do majority of garden birds enjoy these seeds. 

also, do you have to use a feeder for these seeds or can I feed them on bird table without a feeder. 

Can I get some advice on this please. 

• Hi Luke...Niger gets discussed on here rather alot as its hit or miss at times....in my garden I feed Niger and the Goldfinches, Bluetits, Great tits,  Coaltits and the odd redpoll that turn up feed from them and they are in a Niger feeder......note that Niger seeds are really tiny 

You can just see the feeder through the foliage

Others have said they go untouched in their gardens....if you do wanna try a would only buy a small bag 1st to see if the birds take to them.

Should you give it a go ...please let us know how you get on ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Hi Luke, like Linda, my birds take the Niger seed as well, quite a variety of them. I have at the moment a small plastic tube with 2 tiny holes on either side at the bottom, the size of a tube of toothpaste (from RSPB), but I did have a metal Niger feeder, but overt time, the metal rusted, the wee one is fine but will not hold much. Again, as Linda has said, many have tried Niger seed and have had no takers, so buy a small amount to start with. Also, being new to the birds, it may take them a while to take to it, so be patient. Will look for a link for you.

RSPB doesn't seem to have the small one, but the below link will give you an idea. Mine is the first one.

https://www.gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk/bird-feeders/niger-seed-feeders.html

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.