Ham Wall 02/07/23

So after my last few excursions being mainly bugs n bees n butterflies, Mrs PB decided we needed a more "birdy" site. I did point out that this is quite often a quieter time of year, but she said "Never mind, it'll be good for us to get out"... so off we toddled at 7, sausages ensconced in crusty rolls for breakfast on arrival. Mrs SatNav was playing silly beggars, and sent us in the back route through Greylake for some reason, and we arrived shortly after 8. Refreshed and sated by scrummy bacon rolls, we were greeted in the car park by a cheery RSPB lady, and overhead by a slightly distant Marsh harrier

Or two

The weather was a bit grey, with occasional bits of sun peeping out later so quite a few pics I've had to lighten

From the path to the 1st viewpoint there were Martins and Swifts zooming overhead

And perched, unfortunately high above the ground, a Blue Tailed Damsel

On the sign by VP1, Red Admiral... which was the most numerous butterfly of the day

Ohhh, don't be shy... you're beautiful

We headed across the path to the screens on the way to the first hide, a pair of Cormorants surveyed the area

And tucked down by one of the screens, a Swan family.... unfortunately big lens= long minimum focus distance, so could only get one cygnet in without wading!!

A Great White Egret posed nicely for portraiting!

There were thousands of Blue Tailed Damsels throughout the walk, with some interesting colour variations we shall discover later in the post

A Grey Heron flew a wide slow loop

Causing the Cormorants a little consternation... his wings must be aching like mad by now, holding them out all that time!!

A fortuitous sunbeam added some lovely light to the Egret

And captured the Gatekeeper

And the 4 Spot Chaser the was playing a game of "if I can't see you, you can't see me"

As I said, Blue Tailed Damsel, colour variations

There were bigger dragons about too, in fairly good numbers... Migrant Hawker

Black Tailed Skimmer

4 Spot Chaser

Smaller stuff included Cardinal (?) Beetles

And a smattering of White butterflies, Large I think

And Green Veined

Last big dragon... Common Darter

There were a good few Great Crested Grebes about

At least 3 on nests

Caring, sharing Red Admiral

Or not so much!

A little higher up, Small Tortoiseshell

Red Eyed Damselfly (I think! Black top of thorax)

Swollen Thigh Beetle.... any thoughts on the green thing next to it?

Another Marsh Harrier passed by, significantly closer (I've pre-ordered the new Nikon 180-600 lens so hopefully first week of August everything will look much closer!!)

I thought this was a moth of some kind, as it was down low, and looked settled in for the day, under leaves, but I think now it may be another Red Admiral? Any thoughts on reason for where it was?

Common Blue Damsel

Vibrant Comma

Hissy Swan! We were only walking down the pathway

Fluffy Wuffy

Clouded Border Moth

And finally, another stunningly coloured Swollen Thigh Beetle

I hope you enjoyed our couple of hours at Ham Wall, thanks in advance for any ID or information on my queries.

Stay Safe All