Chalk Downland Butterflying!

Following on from my Alner's Gorse meander at the weekend, the weather was again dry and warm, with relatively little breeze so it was another butterfly trip that caught my fancy, this time to the renowned chalk slopes of north Dorset.

The view from the top.... If you squint a bit you can probably make out my house waaaaaaayy off in the distance!!

Not sure why, and despite their name... I find Yellow Dung Beetles stunning!

First butterfly of the day, Red Admiral

Now, possibly a Nursery Web Spider (and I'm not even sure it's alive!)

A Speckled Wood, the patrolled frequently

Got to be honest, this may be the same spider from a different angle, in which case it IS alive because it's legs have moved.... Or it's a different one!

Another Dung Fly

A Flesh Fly 

Probably one of the Cardinal Beetles

Dingy Skipper

One of the Mint Moths (the others I have seen have been a beautiful purple and cream colour)

Another Dung Fly

Crane Fly

Garden Chafer

Small Blue

Five Spot Burnet Moth

Dingy Skipper

Common Blue

This one migrated from Australia, so it prefers to be upside down *

Adonis Blue... there were half a dozen people there, and no one could remember seeing so many Adonis out, both male and female which bodes well

Small Heath

Grizzled Skipper

Adonis preparing a future generation

Three's a crowd

No, seriously, THREE IS A CROWD!

Dingy Skipper

Brown Argus? Or female Common Blue? unfortunately I didn't see the underwing Disappointed

Highlight of the day was half a dozen or more Glanville Fritillaries

Small Heath

More Glanville loveliness

First Green Hairstreak of the year

Brimstone

Probably a Small White, but may be Green Veined.... again, I didn't see the underside

This year's first Comma

Red Admiral

And a female Holly Blue to finish with

I hope you enjoyed my trip down about 75 yards of a track, coz that's all the ground I had to cover to get all those species!!

* Please note, no butterflies flew from Australia for the making of this post

Stay Safe All