Brandon Marsh 11th January 2023

This has been a long time coming, very much overdue, after becoming a member of my local Wildlife Trust at the start of last year, and then, as many will know, my leg had other ideas.

Not to be thwarted, I eventually found a pair of boots that would fit my feet, a late afternoon hospital appointment and a break in the weather yesterday morning, was just the perfect recipe for a morning out, at Brandon Marsh.

Exercising my 24/7 access keycard, I arrived well before sunrise, and as intended, took my night vision binoculars for an outing as well. Though not a lot seen, I did manage to watch a fox foraging, who had also clocked its eyes on me.

It was also the first outing for the R5 to Brandon!

I like to push any camera to its limits, and not long after settling in the first hide, a pair of little grebes flew in. They stayed together throughout my stay there, whether they were siblings or a breeding pair, I've no idea, but always happy to hear/read any thoughts.

I would like to have ventured to one of the further out hides, but the last I'd heard was it had to be closed, it was sinking into the ground, which was a shame, because I understand barn owls have inhabited the owl box right in front.

But that didn't dampen the morning.

Mrs Goosander came swimming past, along with many coots, not my favourite waterfowl, but they have a part in nature.

Then the sun was starting to rise.

As the sun was rising, the dinosauromonts were coming in, and from where I was positioned, making perfectly silhouetted shapes on the water, along with the mute swans as  well.

BTW, if anyone wants to ID the gull, be my guest....

By now the sun had risen far enough to lose that early morning effect, but the dinosauromant on the pontoon was till a worthy pic....

The pair of little grebes, that were inseparable, except, when diving for food....

Mr Tuftie having a swim.

A mooning swan!     Scream

Another dinosauromont...

The sun casting its final glow....

Even the moon was getting in on the act....

Mr Shovelor...

This mute swan kept swimming past the open slats of the hide, looking in, almost expectantly. I did sort of wonder if it was hoping for food, and perhaps people had been feeding it, and other waterfowl, from the hide.

I did encounter a similar scenario last year, where a pair of mute swans came up to me, looking all friendly, no hissing, and after placing some small bird food on the ground, they didn't hesitate to scoop the food up.....

More Mr Tufties

And finally, the family Pochard....

I'm not sure if these are siblings or what.... But they did make for a couple of nice photos

A brilliant morning out, and I was like a dog not with two tails, but more like ten tails!

I had it confirmed the hide which was sinking, and gives a good view of the barn owl nest box, is fixed, and open for use, so next time, you know where I'm going to be early in the morning....

• gaynorsl said:
    Good set of photos to look through, thanks Mike, I haven't managed to get out for ages, hopefully will be able to get back into it shortly., always good to follow the outings and glad to see the cormorants and Grebes are behaving and giving us good views.

Thank you Gaynor.

I did see your cream cheese and jam post.

• PimperneBloke said:
    Nice to see you out and about again Mike. You got some lovely colours early doors :o)

Thank you, and it was good to get out properly again. I was like a dog with ten tails, not two.... Fearful   Grinning  

• Billysdad said:

Michael B said:

Show off ...

Really pleased the new boots enabled you to get out for a bit Mike. Looks like you are getting to grips with the new camera. Love the photos of the 'Dinosauromonts' ...

You know the old saying, if ya got it.....

It really was fantastic to get out again properly.

• I am the same old age and body parts wearing out, just had new knee, but now waiting for new heart valve, I really miss my mountain walks, take care and keep safe. Tom
  • tommytit@ said:
    I am the same old age and body parts wearing out, just had new knee, but now waiting for new heart valve, I really miss my mountain walks, take care and keep safe. Tom

I can fully imagine how you feel and miss those mountains.

Once bitten by the bug, it holds you tight, I know all too well. It can be hard to look back on those days and fabulous memories, but I have managed to do that, but the yearning is still there (whenever I go to RSPB Conwy, I always look to the surrounding mountain, which I've spent many hours on, and have to photograph), and the last few months after the big breakout on my leg, has made it hard.

Thankfully, with those new boots, that has been placed where it belongs, to add to that, the knowledge you, and I have gained with regarding to clothing and what to eat and drink in the various weather conditions, help to pu that extra spark into a day out around a reserve.

Good luck with the heart valve, I hope the wait isn't too long before it is replaced, and you can get back out a bit more.

Likewise, Tom, you take care and keep safe.

• thanks hope it happens soon, let you know all the best Mike
  • Hi Mike,
    Good to see you out and about again and making good use of the new camera in that lovely early morning light. This time of year with the sun never very high you can get good side lighting most of the day when it's sunny.
    Best wishes,
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    Hi Mike,

Good to see you out and about again and making good use of the new camera in that lovely early morning light. This time of year with the sun never very high you can get good side lighting most of the day when it's sunny.
    Best wishes,
    Trevor

Thank you Trevor.

Apologies for the late reply, I've just been living it up with these early morning trips. There is a plus, some piccies, not many, to follow....

• Missed this one Mike, sorry. Sometimes as you know there can be many posts and some are easily missed. A lovely day out you had, and hopefully you will see the owls next time. Good that you are able to get out and about now, hope you keep making a good recovery.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.