All about insects 2023

Last year's post can be found below

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/279045/all-about-insects-2022

Hope you don't mind me kicking off this year's thread but these 2 were on the patio doors yesterday 

Feel free to identify them as they are all flies to me ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Tuesday 24th January 2023 

. As you might already know it’s real name is gnat But I call them Natty for fun sometimes so say hello to natty 

Natty 

• Since I havnt sent a proper photo for the thread for a long time and have sent my first photo of 2023 now you might want to excuse this joke but I hope you find it funny. don’t worry I havnt turned into a knat while Iv been away.

As for the knat in the photo I didn’t have a knat-er with the Knat or anything just saw it on the window from inside the house so I went outside and took a photo for the thread 

• Sunday 29th January 2023 

I had spent all afternoon looking for insects but I mainly found Worms which arnt insects and some bristletail At the field 

When I went to Hucclecote if I stood still near some shrubs and trees I could see Whiteflys land 

So when I decided to hide next to a Silver Birch tree later before going in a White fly landed in front of me 

• Tuesday 31st January 2023 

Like with the Knat and Whitefly I got out of my way to get these but this time I found a better and more convenient birdwatching place where I can see both insects on the tree aswell as birds in the feeder. I went out at 2:59 pm and then went back inside at 3:50 pm The extra hour is cause I didn’t tell Mum I was behind the Ivy so went looking for me without me knowing until I got a text saying I’m back and I replyed just behind the Ivy. And Mum came just as a bird landed on the feeder which made it jump so I’m going to let her know next time so it doesn’t happen again. But she did see the funny side. staying an exstra hour would allow more time for the birds and insects again. And my patience payed off. At 3:27 pm This insect or invertrebete appeared out of nowhere

In the garden

Hucclecote 

It didnt stick  around for long it was only there until 15:30  should i of gone inside half an hour ago I would of missed the opportunity 

• I watered my wild plants which I havnt done for a long time cause it’s been so cold and some insects flew off them so Insects are abit more active now and ants are definitely very active. One was carrying one of my bird food when I started cleaning my insect drinking fairy decoration the blackbird is fond the insect drinking decoration which isn’t surprising. He likes sticking his beach in and pecking for insects or having a drink if there’s enough water for it. The water is usually low so the insects can get to it but he still likes looking for insects and having a drink.
    I also heard a Bumblebee when I was watering my border

• One of the people in the house told me there was a really big fluffy thing that came into the house but that it went back out again. And that it was scary. I said that would of been a Bumblebee but reassured her it wouldn’t of got in on purpose but would of just flown in by acident and that it might of also still been abit drowsy from not long Corning out of hibernation and and if it was a really really big one it could of been a queen Bumblebee cause at this time of year queen Bumblebees are starting to come out and there starting to look for energy from flowers and look for nest sites.

• It would of helped if they didn’t leave the door open though. I found the garden door wide open twice today and it made the kitchen freezing cold so not leaving the door open when you don’t need to would of made it abit less likely for some Species like Bumblebees that are more at home outside to acidently get in.

•  It was lovely to watch the honey bees, buzz around the snowdrops. In the warm sun shine, it was a real taste of spring 

• That’s a really good photo of the honey bee
  • Thank you Slight smileI took about 500 out of focus ones first