Odds & Sods 2023

After yet another successful year on the Odds & Sods thread, initially started I think by Hazy, it might be wise to kickstart the 2023 thread off.

Thank you to those who have contributed to last years thread, and there has been very interesting odds and sods in "Odds & Sods 2022" that aren't enough to place into a dedicated thread, which you can look back on the following link:

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/278729/odds-sods-2022/1417300?pifragment-4285=76#pifragment-4285=1

What better for me, and as yet, I've not ventured far, ewe know what I mean, with this lassie on Baddesley Clinton estate yesterday....

• Beautiful pictures Bob. If you've never seen a Goshawk you need to come to Loch Garten, here in Scotland!! We have them nesting in the forest...... watched a nest cam last summer and am looking forward to seeing them again this year..
    Thank you for sharing Blush
  • Unknown said:
    Hello, Mike.

Always use the shutter button. However, I did once hook up my other Canon camera to a laptop for remote shooting. I had the camera on a tripod, pre-focused. I wanted to photograph birds flying towards my bird feeder, and needed to active camera as I see them flying in. It's too late to press shutter if I see them in view finder.

I can connect my mobile to my Canon 80D to facilitate remote release. An option I'll use when the possibility arises e.g. if the skies clear, and if it isn't too cold, I'll photograph the moon again or (if it is still in view) the green comet transiting our skies.

My humblest apologies Angus for the late reply, I've been enjoying the good life watching barn owls.

I've since seen your moon photos, and they're very good. The Canon Connect app is very good, and an ideal tool to use as a remote shutter release, especially as you rightly say, you can't always see the fuller picture in the viewfinder.

Using the TFT screen at the back of the camera isn't always ideal, because there are times when you need to angle it because of the sunlight or artificial light, though I think the 80D has a flexible TFT screen, allowing you to position it to obtain the best view. But a smartdevice has a larger screen therefore allowing you to see more of the subject and its surroundings.

• I've just managed one decent shot this week so far.  It has been generally dull and low light. I am sure it needs no introduction ...

• Well done BD...they really are beautiful birds ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I have my fingers crossed to see one. We had one last year which in the local valley so I'm hoping to get lucky.
  • Lovely BD, they are so flighty I am always mumbling under my breathe when I see one fly away.
  • No worries Mike. I wasn't expecting a reply. I thought you were asking out of idle curiosity.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Great White Egret, Colebrook lake north, Moor Green Lake nature reserve.  This is the third time in about 6 years that I've seen a Great White Egret, and both times in Colebrook lake north. Though to be honest, today was only the second time in two years I've wandered to MGL, the first being last week, as I've been concentrating on photographing the restoration of Manor farm. However, this is the first time I've seen it at 10:30am. I've only ever seen it at about 8:00am. I think it is wary of people.

As it was, the thing was between 300 and 400 yards away, partially hidden by mist. It was about -1C, and most of the mist had cleared. When I started my walk an hour earlier, it was -3C and the far shore couldn't be seen.

Not the best of photos, due to mist and extreme range, made worse by the creature flying even further into shade.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Well captured Angus. You made the best of a difficult situation ... Thumbsup

• Very nice catch Angus... love it !!! Well done and thank you for sharing