Odds & Sods 2023

After yet another successful year on the Odds & Sods thread, initially started I think by Hazy, it might be wise to kickstart the 2023 thread off.

Thank you to those who have contributed to last years thread, and there has been very interesting odds and sods in "Odds & Sods 2022" that aren't enough to place into a dedicated thread, which you can look back on the following link:

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/278729/odds-sods-2022/1417300?pifragment-4285=76#pifragment-4285=1

What better for me, and as yet, I've not ventured far, ewe know what I mean, with this lassie on Baddesley Clinton estate yesterday....

• Didn't last long...back to Jack Frost today again :-(

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thanks Tigerss.....cute and fast usually 2 chasing each other around the garden but nice to see one chilling in the bath until Mr BB told him to get out!!

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• What fabulous scenery Bob, the lighting in the second is spot on, wonderful picture.

Lot to learn

• Two bandits in my garden. These do a lot of damage in my garden. Wouldn't mind Pine Martens in our area. Enjoying their spoils at end of our garden.

A good scratch

Who dat looking at me?

And, offski.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Fabulous pictures Angus!! I love squirrels (sorry), I just think they are great characters!! But I love how you caught two of them together.... beautiful!! Thanks for sharing Blush
  • Great photos Angus. I know greys aren't very popular, but they do photograph well. I always like the action shots like your last two ... Thumbsup

• Unknown said:
    Hello Mike,

Setup is Canon 80D with Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.

I am about to start taking my light weight monopod with me. I stopped using it for the most curious of reasons. The natural frequency of the monopod and my old camera set up were identical. Thus, when I push the shutter release, the movement of the mirror and shutter mechanism set up a slight vibration, which would cause ever so slightly blurred photos. I could hear a tzing, when pushing shutter release. I think it was more the fault of the camear. I stopped using my monopod.

However, I tried out my monopod with Canon 80D/Sigma lens two days ago. No problems. No vibrations. No tzing. Pin sharp images. Hence, my decision to start carry it with me. I find the monopod gives me a good, stable platform.

My photography style is possibly a little odd. I don't hang around in one location for very long. I tend to whizz down to Moor Green Lakes nature reserve and/or the quarry restoration and/or any where else, then whizz, stopping every now and again to photograph anything interesting - BIF in particular.

I do have a light weight tripod, but I tend to find that by the time I have hauled the thing out and set it up, my subject has either run off or flown off, even with quick release attachment.

Monopods, tripods, like many things its user preference. I know what you mean about fiddling around setting up tripods, though for me, carrying a tripod isn't easy when using a walking stick, or as I sometimes have to, resort to a pair of elbow crutches, so I find a tripod carrier very handy. Not just for the tripod, but a small lunch pack, flask, etc. To save time, I often have the tripod baseplate fixed to the lens, and once the tripod legs are out, a couple of seconds job, pack off my shoulders, attach camera and shoot away.

As for whizzing around or staying put, a lot depends on what you're after. When you are a regular at a reserve, you get to know what to see, when and where. There are times I'll whizz around, or be seeking something more specific.

But as I said, it all personal preference and there are no fixed rules, its what you  like and suites you.

The camera lens combo is a good one and worked well for me, and similar to one I used for a good while before upgrading to the 5D4, and now the R5, except my camera was the 750D, a predecessor, the 80D.

You don't say whether you use the shutter button on the camera or a remote release. You might want to consider a remote release cable, the Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch, should work, they don't cost a lot and I find mine very invaluable, especially with slow shutter speeds. I also have a wireless remote, Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote Control, which should work on the 80D when you activate the wireless option and using the  timer setting on the shutter settings, again, not a lot of money.

• Great shots DB. I really like the first one of the Curlew ... Thumbsup

• Hello, Mike.

Always use the shutter button. However, I did once hook up my other Canon camera to a laptop for remote shooting. I had the camera on a tripod, pre-focused. I wanted to photograph birds flying towards my bird feeder, and needed to active camera as I see them flying in. It's too late to press shutter if I see them in view finder.

I can connect my mobile to my Canon 80D to facilitate remote release. An option I'll use when the possibility arises e.g. if the skies clear, and if it isn't too cold, I'll photograph the moon again or (if it is still in view) the green comet transiting our skies.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.