A couple of late Autumn Days on the Suffolk Coast.

The calendar was showing late Autumn, but the thermometer was more early Autumn and there was a strong southerly wind bringing more rain than was forecast. 

I went to Minsmere and after a brisk walk through the rain hid in Island Mere Hide until it stopped.

At least the Cormorants didn't mind the weather but the Bitterns and Bearded Tits did.

Heading back to the Visitor Centre I spotted lots of movement in a tree by the path, right behind Bittern Hide, a mixed flock of Tits, among them a couple of Goldcrests.

This one showing off it's orange socks.

The Lichen seemed to be providing something of interest for them.

A few seconds of frantic activity then they were gone.

Down on the dunes a faithful regular, a Stonechat.

From the Public Hide a passing Kestrel.

Then the chap I was talking to said, look behind you, the Kestrel was back and drifted virtually over our heads. The only problem was the sun was almost right behind it, the following images are the result of pulling a lot of detail out of virtual silhouettes on the computer.

Dropping into the grass on a dive.

The dive was unsuccessful.

A couple of days later I stopped at the beach carpark at Dunwich for a walk north along the coast.

Another regular here a Stonechat.

Also almost always here, Skylarks, and these ones are much more approachable than the ones on farmland near where I live.

A Reed Bunting trying to hide.

The strong wind meant the Skylarks sometimes hovered quite low in the sky.

A Greenfinch, not the best image but all the other shots I got it was facing away.

A Greylag Goose giving "birds in flight" practice.

I initially thought this was a Ruff later to realise it was a Spotted Redshank, one of a pair.

There were also a few Dunlin.

One solitary Godwit.

A few Redshanks with the Dunlin.

Another Greenfinch with what is probaby a Linnet.

The Skylarks again.

A pair of swimming Redshanks.

After lunch I popped over to Minsmere to finish the day.

As it was a couple days ago it was quiet for close encounters, but this Marsh Harrier came close enough to try a few shots.

To finish, one that could only be from Minmere.

Having had some very productive days at Minsmere recently, these 2 visits were very quiet for close encounters, but far from unsuccessful. The beach north of Dunwich Beach carpark is always productive though.

Best Wishes,

Trevor