All loved up in Cromer ..................... the sequel!

Earlier this year we made a visit to the church near Cromer's seafront, in the hope of seeing the resident peregrines.  It's fair to say that while we saw them, the light they persisted in sitting in made for poor photography.  However, another pair of birds were being very lovey-dovey a safe-ish distance from the peregrine tower:

Every birder's favourite, the wood pigeon!

I actually love photographing these when they're in affectionate mood as they are so adorable to watch.

'Yeah!  I've pulled!'

I hope you all enjoy this happy couple!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• LOL, great sequence of pics Clare, gotta love wood pigeons :)

Regards, Hazel 

• At least the Wood ones don't poop everywhere JoyJoyJoy

• They are too busy chasing (or fleeing from) the opposite sex to have time to sit and poo.

Hazy, you absolutely have to love wood pigeons!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I have a group of birders here for the w/e- might get to Cromer ... Caspian Gulls....

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Super photos Clare. I have very intimate wood pigeons on my fence far too often!!!!! They do hoover up the seeds the sparrows throw around though so that is good.
  • 5th photo down and getting a love bite, well I never whatever next x rated Lol 

• Lovely photos, Clare--thanks! But sorry to report that the Wood Pigeons in our garden have been feeding the local Sparrow Hawk family--little piles of feathers are occasionally found in the back garden and fewer Wood Pigeons about than a few months ago. We have Ferals as well, but the Woodies must be slower than the Ferals are since the Feral Pigeons seem to be multiplying. We still have a pair of Woodies and they are courting...er, let me correct that--the male is pursuing the female but the female just isn't interested. One thing that has both of us puzzled--the local Crow family are very intent on chasing the Wood Pigeons out of our back garden--why??!!

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    the male is pursuing the female but the female just isn't interested

That's almost always the case!  Hilarious to watch, especially when the male does a whole series of courtly bows to her first.

Our local crows don't like the wood pigeons either - I really don't know why, as they surely can't pose a threat to such a formidable bird.  Maybe it's the competition for food.

• Fabulous clear photos Clare, and shame on the peregrines, they could have looked just as splendid in the sun.

It was planned to make a day trip to Cromer with my wife this summer, but my leg dictated otherwise, but it's on the cards for next year.

• We went back later that month (July) and found the pigeons had progressed somewhat in their relationship:

A subtle invitation ........ not!

'Don't mind if I do'

The view from the church roof must be stunning - not that these two would notice.

That's all, folks!