• It's often worth keeping an eye on Scilly Isles bird reports. Not something I do, but being subtropical they do enjoy some unique species.

• Some birding friends of ours are on Scilly at the moment and sent a photo of this warbler around our members so gained a few bragging points. We were lucky enough to vixit Scilly a few years ago before the helicopter service was discontinued it is a fantastic plsce. Beside the birds we were impressed with the local people, so helpful and genuinely interested in what you were doing and the boatmen are a breed apart. We would certainly go again

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• What a beautiful bird it is and Isle of Scilly is another place to put on our visit list !    

Wendy S said:
    Some birding friends of ours are on Scilly at the moment

so is our county recorder so pretty sure he's seen it too :)  

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:

What a beautiful bird it is and Isle of Scilly is another place to put on our visit list !    

I can definitely recommend a visit to the Scilly Isles, it's a fabulous group of islands, and somewhere I'd like to do a week or long weekend island hopping.
    Though I've only done day trips there, flying out by helicopter from Penzance, each visit has been spectacular. Tresco Abbey Gardens, are a subtropical paradise.
  • hI-

I went to Scilly from 1983-90 in October:

Eventually it became as expensive as going to Israel

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• It was cheap in the 60's when I went to Israel S, only because we hitched there :-) Now the Scilly Islands have long been on my list of places to visit, should have done it when the heli was still operating maybe.

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    It was cheap in the 60's when I went to Israel S, only because we hitched there :-) Now the Scilly Islands have long been on my list of places to visit, should have done it when the heli was still operating maybe.

The old helicopter service that started in 1964 by the former BEA has long since gone. We used that service when it was operated by British International Helicopters during the 90's and early 2000's for our day trips, and it was just awesome.

However, all is not lost, you can still sail from Penzance or fly by plane from Lands End (St Just), Newquay and Exeter among the main places, and there has been a re-established helicopter service from Penzance, just across the road from the original heliport.

The original heliport is now quite a large Sainsbury Superstore.

• The Scillonian is a shallow draught ( because of St Mary's Harbour ) vessel so bounces around a lot in rough weather....

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I suffered a rough crossing on the Scillonion on my first visit,never again !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• seymouraves said:
    The Scillonian is a shallow draught ( because of St Mary's Harbour ) vessel so bounces around a lot in rough weather....

S

I understand there is a convergence of currents which create a bouncy crossing on the best of days. I once saw a video taken from a helicopter (poss the Penzance-Scilly service) showing the Gry Maritha, the dedicated supply vessel, being tossed about on a so-called good weather day!