A Few Days in the Wye Valley.

After a long period of quiet, on the wildlife photography front, I finally put something together from a recent trip the the Wye Valley. Up until then we had been busy with family commitments, including a day recording the activities of 4 Great Nieces and Nephews at an adventure park. Photographing a 3,4 and two 6 year olds on swings, zip wires, slides and walkways in the trees is very much like my main hobby with unpredictable subject matter moving randomly about and in the shade of trees, at least with wildlife you're not worried about photographing any that you're not related to. That produced hours of work sorting the successes from the many failures but the parents were more than happy the results.

The trip to the Wye Valley was quickly followed by my wife testing positive for Covid followed a couple days later by myself, a week later my wife has tested negative at last and so far we've suffered no worse than very heavy head cold like symptoms.

On the holiday we stayed in a cottage on a farm overlooking the Wye Valley.

Down steep hills was our nearest village Brockweir.

A walk along the river to Tintern. Lots of Chiffchaffs

Regular passing Buzzards

A Robin singing in the Ruins of Tintern Abbey.

Another day walking along the Wye, the river in many different guises during the day according to the tide.

#

Another Buzzard.

A very tatty Raven.

This little Wren just kept still long enough in the poor light for a photo.

A view from the top of Symonds Yat.

Very distant view with Heron, Little Egret and Cormorants

If we hadn't seen the white dot we would never have spotted the other birds.

Coal Tit at the top of Symonds Yat.

I just missed this Cormorant swallow a fish, you can see the bulge in it's neck.

Another walk along the Wye and more Chiffchaffs.

Then a large gathering of House Martins in the rain.

I tried many times to get a bird skimming the water, but a combination fast birds moving unpredictably in poor light defeated me, this is the best I managed.

Then a beautiful still day and a walk up Sugar Loaf Mountain, the Welsh one which is 596 metres high.

One of very many Dung Beetles flying about and crash landing and collecting sheep droppings.

At the top there was no wind and the air was full of insects, bad for us, great for the birds.

Wheatear

Sitting quietly at the top some Meadow Pipits came quite close.

Then a passing Raven, it was only later I realised what it had in it's beak.

Back at the car a reasonably close fly past from a Red Kite.

Another day and a Grey Wagtail

And a very obliging young Robin.

Overall a great week away in lovely accommodation, unfortunately it was all fairly quiet on the bird front.

This wasn't the end though we still had two night at Slimbridge to visit the wetland centre, more of that another time.

Sorry I've not kept up with replying to other posts for a while.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Brilliant Photos Trevor It looks like you had a great holiday, glad you and your wife have recovered from Covid. The scenery looked fabulous and by the look of it the rivers looked in fine fettle unlike the reservoirs in Yorkshire. That last photo of the young Robin is excellent. A lovely selection Trevor and thank you for sharing.
  • Oh it's been a wee while Trevor but your pics are always worth the wait....looks like you had a lovely holiday...thanks for sharing you crisp clear pics ;-)
    Love the pipits ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Bad luck getting Corvid Trevor, hope you are your wife are well over it now. Your pics are well worth waiting for, some fantastic huge skies and views, and the birds you saw are not to be sniffed at either :-) All the House Martins are brilliant shots, and of course all the close up shots are too. I like the Robin singing outside Tintern Abbey, and the Wheatear and Pippits too. Thanks for posting. Slimbridge did you say, some good waders there, look forward to seeing those pics too.

Lot to learn

• Welcome back, Trevor. I'm glad to see you haven't lost the knack of proper belters of pics Grin We were looking at the Wye Valley potentially for a break next spring, but I think we've decided on revisiting Scotland.
    Anyhow, thanks for sorting and sharing more stunning shots.
  • stunning set of photos Trevor and what beautiful scenery as well as birds; the Wye Valley is such a fantastic area and looks like you had an amazing holiday with plenty of wildlife to see. I just love the Wheatear and Chiffchaffs, Mippits,  always a soft spot for those birds along with the house martins gathering ready for migration. Thanks so much for this set, just wonderful to see so going back to have another look on full screen :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks everyone for your generous replies,

We are both pretty well fully recovered from Covid now and neither of us suffered particularly badly apart from both of us having quite rough patches at the mid point but they only lasted a few hours and quickly passed. 

PB

Given a choice between the Wye Valley and Scotland in Spring we would choose Scotland. The Wye Valley was quite stunning scenery wise and the wildlife would definitely be much more abundant in the spring but there is something special about the Highlands that the rest of the country can't quite match, if it weren't for the 1200 mile round trip to go there we would much more regular visitors.

Thanks again everyone,

Trevor 

• Some excellent photos there Trevor. Hard to pick out favourites. I do very much like the street, view down to Brockweir, as well as the Chifchaffs, Wheatear and Robins.

• Stunning photos. Gorgeous scenery too. Thanks for sharing them. Love the detail on the young robin.