And Now For Something Completely Different....

I wasn't planning on posting this, but Bossy Linda, being Bossy...and Linda.... made me do it Innocent

I'd booked a VIP trip to Longleat for me and Mrs PB, to celebrate my birthday. It was booked for Monday 19th. Now that date may sound familiar to you (may you rest in peace Your Majesty), so understandably it was cancelled, with a refund in due course. I checked the website, and saw there was availability for Wednesday, coinciding rather nicely with Mrs PB and myself having that day off, so I booked it. What a fabulous decision, it turned out that rather than being in a car of six, there were just the two of us, with the ranger. Even more fabulous, it turns out it was carnivore feeding day. And finally, to make it even more fabulous, as we were 20 minutes early, they said come on, hop aboard now, and we'll be in the enclosure when the food truck comes through!!!

Before we left the Welcome Hut I asked how close we'd get, wondering which lens to use, the answer was "very" ... so the little lens (105mm) it was...a good choice as it performed magnificently:

We saw Tigers

Lions

This next image isn't cropped... we really did get this close!

Cheetah

Wolves

Giraffes

Ring Tailed Lemur

Black Wildebeest (Gnu)

Antelope-Eland

They're bigger than they look when they're being chased by lions!!

White Backed Vulture

Other Antelope...this is apparently extinct in the wild Disappointed

The ranger even took us through the Monkeys

And some could be described as "cheeky" Monkeys

A massive cow!- Ankole

The Lone Ranger of Antelope, or headed to a masked ball! -Roan Antelope

The male Eland...considerably bigger than the female

Scimitar Horned Oryx (also extinct in the wild)

Hippo RHINO on the trot!

Meerkat

Macaw

Crocadowndilly

Hippo

Lowland Gorilla

And Sealion

So, not the usual fare served up here, but a thoroughly enjoyable day, and I hope you like the pics :o)

Stay Safe All

• Fabulous PB How could you not like them. I visited Longleat some 20 years ago and we had a great time there, you certainly got the VIP treatment. And why not for your Birthday, The photos are brilliant.
  • Wow! Thanks so much for sharing such amazing photos. You really did get close. What an experience for you ... Thumbsup

• What a lovely day out you had PB. Up real close and personal. Cracking photos, would not want to get too close to those rhinos, cute meerkats and a very handsome gorilla. Thanks for sharing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• What a treat to see those pics PB, Longleat is somewhere I would like to visit as have watched it over the years with Kate and Ben, it always looked well run. Fantastic photos of the tigers, lions and cheetah, to get that close must have been scary but a one off experience that you couldn't refuse!!!
    What did you say to those hippo/rhino  .....!!!!!!   Just thought I'd go along with it  :-) to get them running around like that....... bet you were glad the car didn't stall:-).

Lot to learn

• NOW that's what I call a proper treat.....a want it for my birthday too lol
    Well done PB but still so disappointed you don't know all their names. Did you not go and see Ann the elephant?...I bet you got plenty more pics and just no wanna share them all lol.
    Brilliant PB from a fabulous day out...see its always best you do as your told lol

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thanks all :o)
    ILR: I think it's the 4th time we've been there, but not done the VIP bit before. Never had a bad visit :o)
    BD: You're welcome :o)
    CL: It wasn't just the proximity (especially the lions) it was the gutteral grunting they were doing, resonating through the truck!
    Gaynor: The guide said Ben could sometimes be seen, prowling his territory, in his loin cloth....although he may have made it up! Sorry I misnamed the Rhino's... but it was coincidental.. the guide had just said that sometimes they go for a little jog!!
    Linda: It was a bit grey and murky in the morning, so Ann had the best idea of staying in her house... I took 900 pics altogether, and most of them (for a change) were servicable!
  • What a fabulous day out and superb photos (all 900 of them) to remember the day with.

I've often found that a shorter lens gives better results than a long lens, and with the capabilities of mirrorless, even more so.

Many thanks for sharing.

PS, I managed  to coax the dinosauromants to be photographed while I'm down in Cornwall.