Hazy's thread: October - Last day at Leighton Moss (beardies, bittern and bunting et.al )

I thought I may start this new thread for my future photos rather than posting into separate threads each time because I am conscious of multiple posts pushing other members new posts on to pages 2, 3, etc,  when I could combine all my outings/photos onto just this single thread;    all I need to do is change half the main title each time and then it gives other posters space on the main page (to add their own thread ) rather than having to go hunting for new posts as they tend to drop down too quickly these days. I will continue to use the existing threads like photo-bomb, bad pics, etc, that are already in situ as I am not creating future new threads.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here we go with this first post on my one and only thread. !    not many pics today but headed off to Leasowe on The Wirral although being so quiet there we headed then to Parkgate which was equally quiet today;   many birds skulking as they continue to moult their feathers and the tide well out so no waders inshore.  

This the view at Leasowe looking towards New Brighton/Liverpool 

We saw waders like Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone, lots of B.H.Gulls they were too distant to get decent pics as the tide needs to be well in to capture them on camera.

However,  this does not apply to Stonechats  lol.      This little beauty was posing beautifully and remained on each stem for long periods ..... not sure if this was a juvenile or adult female in mid moult. looking rather fluffy and very obliging I thought juvenile ?

young Goldfinch ........

when it turned around I noticed it had a tick on its face but hopefully once the tick has had its fill of blood it will drop off 

You can tell it's the first day back in school for children.   !!!       whole promenade to ourselves and a few dog walkers 

Parkgate was very quiet,  it has a vast salt marsh but we did spot a very distant Marsh Harrier - couldn't tell if it was adult female or juvenile 

on king/spring tide days you can get a raptor-fest spectacular with anything from hen harriers, marsh harriers, kestrels to escaping voles, mice, etc,  

also to be found are Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Stonechats.......   

In the winter you can see short eared owls

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow what a fabulous set to finish off your visit to Leighton Moss...them beardies are just adorable....well done on the Bittern in flight. On the list of places to visit now ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thank you Hazel for the fabulous photos and giving us all an insight of what can be seen at Leighton Moss.
    This is another reserve that I want to go to.
  • Wonderful that you had such a successful last day this time at LM, Hazel! Fabulous that you saw so many Beardies on the grit tray--too bad that you haven't posted a photo of the melee on the tray! (I know some prefer not to post photos of birds on feeders so never mind...to each their own). Your Bittern shots reminded me of the great shot Gaynor had in the summer of that Bittern flying so close, flying across right in front of the hide--lovely. Lovely, too, that you chanced across Nigel--hope you told him he's been missed both here on the forum and at the meet-up in June. Maybe he and the other regulars who were not there this year will manage to turn up in 2023, along with last year's regulars, newcomer (you know who you are!) and possibly a few more new folks...

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks all for your generous comments which is much appreciated 

Unknown said:
    Fabulous that you saw so many Beardies on the grit tray--too bad that you haven't posted a photo of the melee on the tray!

Sorry Ann,   just for you I dragged a couple of photos out of the bin which shows a few beardies on the grit tray;   you don't tend to get more than 5 or 6 on a tray at once as they are quite bossy and some will push others off the tray. !     When birds were on the tray there were many others hanging in the reeds and working their way through to take their turn on the tray so this is the best I can give you ..........

these two look like this year's brood but not 100% certain 

Regards, Hazel 

• That’s great Hazel to see them in the open, when I have seen them it has been when they are playing hide and seek amongst the reeds, lovely Photos Hazel
  • This is what we have been missing - Hazy's eyes :-) Fabulous photos of the Beardies, and Bittern of course, thanks Anne for remembering my mushy shot!, good to see the views out of the hides Hazy, brought back happy memories. Hope to make it again next year, but have heard ramblings about a uke three day in June, up north, we will have to see.
    Haven't been on as my computers disc drive decided to give up, so now have another and am trying to reinstall my programmes.
    All good fun :(
    Is Huddersfield anywhere near Arnside does anyone know? Ok I know I could google it but sometimes you are all much faster:-)

Lot to learn

• Thanks folks,
    @ Gaynor, I remember you were the only person who managed to get a photo of the Bittern as it flew across Grisedale hide area and these things we never forget as it was so very special that you got that shot and we were able to re-live the moment. When I saw this one at distance I thought it was a Marsh Harrier until it got half way across and then the heart starts racing lol.    With the extender it took the camera a bit longer to lock on focus so I missed a few opportunities.
    Huddersfield to Arnside is a long way, 86 miles or 57 miles by train !!!

Sorry your computer packed up and hope you get all the software loaded on the new one as it can take time so good luck.
    We will probably be heading for the forum meet up around mid June so fingers crossed you can make that and the Uke meet up. Thanks again Gaynor.

Regards, Hazel 

• Cheers Hazy, the date for the uke is 16th to 18th June, don't know yet whether I can persuade anyone else to go so will have to wait for a while and see. Maybe looking at your posts October is a prolific month too :-)

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    the date for the uke is 16th to 18th June

oh !    I think that is the same time as the meet up which will be from around the 17th, 18th for about 5 nights.       It's still early days yet and a lot can change between now and then.    Yes, October time is the best month to see the bearded tits and the deer and we often go back around then too so if you can't make the first meet up Mike and I are bound to be there around mid October too !   

Regards, Hazel 

• Another fabulous set of photos Hazel, and fantastic spot the bittern, and getting such clear photos, no matter what you think, I'd be more than proud to have those in my collection.