Back To Portland

So as you may have gathered from various other posts, I got a new camera and was delayed in taking it for an outing for a while, but last Saturday me and Nikki (Mrs PB isn't best pleased she's named already lol) went to Portland for a wander. 

Having previously been very much a lazy photographer, paying little attention to settings... if it was a bird and flying then it was shutter priority and whack it up to somewhere above 1/1000, if it was sitting still it was aperture priority, somewhere about f5.6. I'd discovered damsels like F8 to get the whole body in focus head on, or a bit higher for dragons, as they're a bit longer. And that was it.

Unfortunately, I'd been experimenting Friday evening with the new teeny weeny lens, and I'd changed all sorts of settings. Because I'd slept Friday night, by Saturday morning I'd forgotten about that. Doh!

Most of these shots required far more computer fiddling than I normally do, but I'm looking forward to trying again with better settings, as the low light capabilities are supposed to be very good.

I started at Ferrybridge and there were a lot of Dunlin about

And amongst them 3 or 4 Oystercatchers

There were a couple of Knot about, and also a load of Turnstones, but don't think I got any salvagable images

Lots of Ringed Plover, some of which abandoned the mudflats for the shingle, which surprised me

My first "in-flight" effort

A Little Egret flew in, and proceeded to patrol the shallows

Whilst just a bit back from the water, a White Wagtail played "I'm the king of the castle"

The worst of the problems with my poor setting choices was to become apparent.... Wheatears against a shingly/sandy/scrubby background caused all sorts of focus issues...with my eyes as well as the camera lol

A couple of Wagtails flitted about, I think just to annoy the Wheatears

And then a small flock of the Little Plovers alighted amongst the camouflage

Looking back to the mudflats, more Carrotbills

In the field, in the murk, this looked much darker, and the white looked much whiter (if that makes sense). It was with a small flock, of what I thought were sparrows. Apparently not... Google Lens came up with Twite, the Linnet, then Lesser Redpoll, and after consulting my book, I reckon Linnet.... I think I've only seen them with their breeding red on...

There were maybe half a dozen Wheatear that I spotted

Another look back at the mudflats, with the Little 'Uns as I was headed to the car to head to Portland Bill

Standing proud

On the railing headed to the car park, juvenile Starling, just beginning to show its' spottiness

So I pootled on, to the Bill, and coming down the hill I spotted a Kestrel, so decided my first job would be to walk back up... but I got distracted, by "The Ages of Gull"!

I headed on back up to where I'd seen the Kestrel

And then all of a sudden, a second one appeared, much clumsier, and looking fluffy....youngster!

He caught sight of something, and made good his escape

Something blue caught my eye in the grass... Common I think

I thought at first, first Small Copper of the year, but now think Meadow Brown, with the emphasis on Brown!!

Sparra!

The younger Kestrel decided to tap into the local communications network

Not sure on this one, size was difficult to judge, and I've massively fiddled with the lighting... thrush? pipit (in the area)? stance reminds me of a blackbird?

The older Kestrel decided the quarry was better than the cables

And a juvenile Stonechat felt the same, but kept a distance from it

Heading back down the track toward the cliff top, two dragons caught me eye, within a couple of feet of each other

Rock Pipit.... ... maybe Thinking

My old mate, giving me the eye!

Grey Seal, popped it's head up 3 or 4 times, to the delight of the watching folk

Greater Black Backed Gull.... 

MeadRockOw Pipit!!

Well, there ended the first trip out. Hopefully I'll remember to look at the settings before I start nest time!!

Thanks for reading

Stay Safe All

• New camera doing very well PB, keep up the good work.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi PB,
    A promising start with the new kit and a lot to look forward to.
    I use aperture priority for virtually everything, I don't use auto ISO so I just use a thumb wheel to tweak the ISO to the shutter speed I need with aperture wide open unless I need more depth of focus. I have three custom settings, all set at 800 ISO, aperture priority mode and three different focus patterns from spot to full screen with animal detect, and just select C1, C2 on C3 depending on the target. Whatever tweaks you do whilst shooting then reset when you power off and on again or change custom number.
    Enjoy getting to grips with the new camera,
    Trevor
  • Well done PB loads of variety and you have some lovely photos despite the settings issue. The bee above is a fabulous photo and the seal reminds me of a time when I was fishing, I was fishing with a couple of pals and the three of us had caught nothing then out of the blue a seals head popped up out of the water and took one look at the three us and then disappeared under the water which explained why neither of us had caught anything. I digress, love the kestrel a beautiful bird. Look forward to seeing more of your photos with your shiny new camera.
  • For the first time using your new camera, I have to say, what fantastic photos! And I especially liked the one of the Bee Bee
    Well done and what a beautiful place with loads of wildlife Thumbsup
  • Some cracking photos PB, and nice to see the LRP.

As for your thrush/pippet, like you I feel blackbird stance. Taking the thickness of the power cable into count, assuming it was the same cable run as the one the kestrel was on, the bird could be larger than initially thought. But like you, my ID often leaves a lot to be desired.

• what a bird and insect fest, beautiful photos and close up detail, hard to choose a favourite amongst all those delights and glad you are getting the most out of your new camera. Thanks PB.

Regards, Hazel 

• Nice to see your old pal catching up with you again PB
    Out in the sun with new camera and plenty wildlife around...alrite for some lol
    Thanks for sharing ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Great to see you're having success with your camera PB, some lovely shots there, especially like the juvie Stonechat and the smiling dragonfly in next photo, also of course the Kestrel, I think you are all getting too good these days, I might put a few of mine on just to bring you all back to earth!!!!!!

Lot to learn