Norfolk Bee-eaters.

Last Friday we finally made the 90 minute drive up to the North Norfolk Coast to see the nesting Bee-eaters at Trimmingham. Now that they have young at two nests they are a very reliable sighting, if somewhat distant. They regularly perch on power lines and dive off in search of food and it's not just Bees.

They come back up to the power line with their catch, make necessary adjustments, such as knocking a Bee's sting off then swoop over to their nest in a nearby sand bank.

They also try to fit in with the locals.

Not worrying about a passing Buzzard, there was also a Hobby about but I didn't get a shot of that.

Sometime they would dive straight down for a Bee, there was a nest nearby we were told.

Every now and then one would land further up the wires towards us, allowing a bit better pictures, but they are all very heavily cropped.

Thankfully it was mostly sunny so despite the heavy cropping I managed better pictures than I feared. We were there in the morning and again in the afternoon after the local RSPB guide directed us to the best local fish and chips for lunch.

Best wishes,

Trevor

• We bought the fish and chips at nearby Bacton and ate them on the beach, they were up there with the best we've ever had.Yum

Trevor

• Thanks Trevor for sharing your fabulous photos, it’s not every day that you see such lovely colourful birds.
  • Blooming heck, what a fabulous collection of bee-eater photos, and some complete with bee to be eaten!

And that lone bee-eater on the power cable among the wood pigeons and I think female blackbirds, so striking.

• What fabulous photos of the bee-eaters! They look amazing against the beautiful blue sky. And the one where one is trying to blend in is just hilarious Rofl I have been following the progress of both nests and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing them. Beautiful birds and beautiful pictures - well done Clap
  • Hi Kathy and Dave,
    The Bee-eaters have been visiting the Norfolk and Suffolk coast during recent summers and this time is first time they have successfully nested and fledged youngsters. I think they had a failed attempt a few years ago.
    This year about 8 turned up in Norfolk this Spring, made 2 nests and fledged 8 youngsters and all of them flew off back South shortly afterwards at the end of August. Hoping to see them again next year but they don't seem to use the same nest sights again.
    Best wishes,
    Trevor