Saturday at Lodmore

So Saturday was the rescheduled MRI (don't know if they found anything in my head, as they wouldn't let me see the pictures...spoilsports) and as it was in Dorchester, I decided to stick the camera in the boot and head on down to Weymouth, 15 minutes down the road.

The first buddlea had a Red Admiral upon it

And opposite, a Jersey Tiger came to rest as I was about to move on

From the path I used the camera as a telescope to check for the Terns on the breeding islands.... but I couldn't see any, so my spirits drooped slightly. A couple of Stonechats springing about catching flies cheered me up

And a charm of Goldfinch chattering away perked me right up Grinning

There were a few Speckled Wood patrolling the pathway

And a family of Magpies were raucously calling. The parents flew off as I approached, leaving their youngster behind...serves it right for being so noisy lol

Then, in the middle of the water, on a lone boulder, was a solitary Tern... I'm assuming Common, but the amount of black feathers on its nape, and a "heavy" looking bill (to me) means I'm not ruling anything out...... my wishful thinking knows no bounds lol

Along the path a fresh looking Speckled Wood

vied for camera time with a nice looking Gatekeeper

There's a shelter that overlooks the nesting islands, and as I stepped to it from the bush I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or the Heron hunting about 10 feet away!

Further out, towards one of the mudflats (for want of a better word....scrape maybe?) an Oystercatcher was doing its' best to hide any red bits!

Whilst standing at the shelter I was in a real quandary about where to look.... across the water were some flying birds, behind me was a warbler, flitting and fluttering, and slightly to my right, the Heron was still on the hunt..... 

The warbler.... Willow?

A flying bird... Little Egret

Back to the Warbler

Back to the fliers.... this time a Tern.... with a snackette

For its youngster!

Back to the Warbler.... not being confusing by showing another colour

And there the colour was.... gone!

And back to to the Terns, this time trying to keep balanced (I guess the plastic bottles on the tops of the poles are to protect the wardens/volunteers when they do work on the islands out of season?)

A distant Great White flew by, showing the proximity of the residential area of town to the reserve

Walking further round, Little Egret on the hunt

And just beyond, the Cormorant really couldn't be bothered, and just sat there looking slightly superior lol

Looking at the numbers, I guess Herons bred there this year (not sure if it's a regular occurrence) as there were 8 or 9 in close proximity to one another, as well as the previous one, and this one, also on the prowl

I heard a bird call from overhead, but couldn't place it, and whn I got home and saw the image I thought....DOH!! Of course it was.... Lapwing

Headed back to the car, I think Common Darter

Another GWE did a fly by, stunning in the sun

A lovely blue caught my eye (careless to drop it, I know Grin)

And another Jersey Tiger completed my couple of hours, all told well worth it, even if I did squint most of the way around coz I forgot to put my cap in the car, in the rush to get to the hospital Rolling eyes

Hope you enjoyed the pics, and the read, and any ID for the warbler gratefully received (and probably forgotten for the next one Stuck out tongue winking eye)

Stay Safe All