A couple of days by the River Deben in Suffolk

Every year my wife and I take her mum to Waldringfield on the River Deben for her birthday, this year mum is 92 years old.

Around the property overlooking the river there is always a variety of wildlife.

Ringlet Butterfly

One of very many Gatekeepers.

At low tide a family of Shelduck, we counted 12 ducklings with the 2 adults but never got more than 11 youngsters in one photograph.

Brief glimpse of a Reed Warbler.

In the gorse bushes there were many of these Labyrinth Spiders, this one with the remains of many victims.

In a lagoon next to the river a Little Grebe.

A young Lapwing.

In front of where we stay there is always Oystercatchers.

More Gatekeepers.

House Martins were nesting on the house next door and collecting mud from the edge of the river.

Young Starlings.

A Common Toad wandered past. The focus missed the front but I still like the pose.

Redshanks on the shore line.

6 Spot Burnet Moth, one of quite few about.

Probable Small Skipper.

Chiffchaff.

I was trying to photograph this Brimstone taking off but it stayed put despite being buzzed by this micro bee.

Then by this Small Skipper.

Finally another Labyrinth Spider.

A lovely few days watching the world go by interspersed with the odd pub lunch and a pint of beer.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• TJS said:
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for letting me know how you are and what's happening for you, I do remember how you ended up with your leg injuries and I can only hope that curative treatment for your current problem is not too far away and that you get back out and about again.
    Your photo posts are missed.
    Very best wishes for a good recovery,
    Trevor

You're welcome.

I will be back, either with the current 5D4, or a new mirrorless camera. I'm too stubborn to lie down and give in.     Wink

• Unknown said:

Hi Mike, you've certainly been through the mill since that terrible accident a few years back and would also like to say we hope the doctors/nurses can get the nasty ulcers finally sorted out with more permanent relief and we really feel for you having to go through constant dressing changes and hospital visits.    Fingers crossed you will be back on the road and birding again soon as I know how frustrating life must be for you at the moment;   having met you I know your positive attitude will help you through the current challenges so good luck my friend.   As for camera gear ....  we just can't help ourselves browsing the latest cameras and lenses but having not used my camera much this year due to my own health issues I need to reaquaint myself with settings again before I go mirrorless.   LOL    

Thank you Hazel, I will be back, either with the 5D4 or a new mirrorless.

Strangely enough, it is mirrorless I'm looking at, which I have been interested in for a good while, it is just the cost of the newer camera tech, plus a few other questions.

However, all may not be quite so drastic. There are adaptors available from the big named camera manufacturers to comfortably use existing lenses, taking into account the different focal planes on the new mirrorless cameras against the older SLR/DSLR focal plane. So using existing lenses shouldn't be a big problem.

I was having a chat to our postie the other day, he does wedding photography, with a Nikon. We both agreed whether you use one big named brand or another, that a lot is down to budgets and personal preference, there was no knocking of the other big names.

He started with Nikon, I started with Canon.

However, he made the full move gradually, using an adaptor, and has offered to come round this afternoon (Sunday) to help me fully grasp what the move would be like.

In my initial research, the Canon R5 retains many of the physical features as the 5D4, things like the same battery and  charger, the cable and wireless remotes are carryover also, which  I feel is a big bonus. Often when a new model comes out, it requires a full change of everything, including flashgun.

Now whether that is the same for the 5D3 I don't know, but the info is out there.

• Hey Mike, I think Bob is now shooting an R5, so he may have some insights going canon mirrorless from DSLR
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Hey Mike, I think Bob is now shooting an R5, so he may have some insights going canon mirrorless from DSLR

I know Bob's moved to mirrorless, and I think he said it was the R3.

To save hijacking Dave fabulous thread, my apologies Dave and many thanks for your patience, I've started a new thread "Moving to Mirrorless" where I and anyone else can share their thoughts and experiences with mirrorless.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/chat/f/the-tea-rooms/280992/moving-to-mirrorless