A couple of days by the River Deben in Suffolk

Every year my wife and I take her mum to Waldringfield on the River Deben for her birthday, this year mum is 92 years old.

Around the property overlooking the river there is always a variety of wildlife.

Ringlet Butterfly

One of very many Gatekeepers.

At low tide a family of Shelduck, we counted 12 ducklings with the 2 adults but never got more than 11 youngsters in one photograph.

Brief glimpse of a Reed Warbler.

In the gorse bushes there were many of these Labyrinth Spiders, this one with the remains of many victims.

In a lagoon next to the river a Little Grebe.

A young Lapwing.

In front of where we stay there is always Oystercatchers.

More Gatekeepers.

House Martins were nesting on the house next door and collecting mud from the edge of the river.

Young Starlings.

A Common Toad wandered past. The focus missed the front but I still like the pose.

Redshanks on the shore line.

6 Spot Burnet Moth, one of quite few about.

Probable Small Skipper.

Chiffchaff.

I was trying to photograph this Brimstone taking off but it stayed put despite being buzzed by this micro bee.

Then by this Small Skipper.

Finally another Labyrinth Spider.

A lovely few days watching the world go by interspersed with the odd pub lunch and a pint of beer.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Super collection. Nice to see young shelducks.
  • Fantastic photos and number of sightings, what a brilliant day out you had Trevor and what a huge brood those Shelducks had. Love the Little Grebe and Reed Warbler, always a favourite along with variety of insects, warblers and young starlings in discussion. lol. The Burnet is stunning with those open wings; all beautiful so thanks for sharing.
  • I enjoyed the interaction between the Brimstone and the Bee and Skipper, great shots as are all your pics Trevor, pleasure to look through.
  • A great set of photos Trevor, thanks for posting
  • Looks like you're getting the hang of this photo-thingamy-jiggy Trevor!!
    Fabulous shots as always, love the detail on the spiders! And I can imagine the Starlings squabbles lol
    Thanks for sharing
  • Brilliant photos Trevor, and your toad looks perfectly crisp and clear to me.

Nice to see the six spot burnet moth, I'm having withdrawal symptoms with not being able to get out and see them at my regular haunt, Conwy. One of my local reserves has had their first six spot burnet moths this summer, but sadly, that is also currently out of bounds.

• Hi Mike,
    Many thanks for the feedback. I've been very busy for the last month or so and not really kept up with as many posts as I'd like to. I realize from some of your posts that you are not able to get out and about at moment but I'm not sure why. How are you?
    Best wishes,
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the feedback. I've been very busy for the last month or so and not really kept up with as many posts as I'd like to. I realize from some of your posts that you are not able to get out and about at moment but I'm not sure why. How are you?
    Best wishes,
    Trevor

You're welcome and thank you for asking.

Getting very frustrated, I don't do poorly or incapable LOL  Grinning

Basically, around the middle of June my rebuilt leg started to ulcerate, and it got to the stage where it effectively burst, which meant the skin became unable to retain the fluids and blood normally.

I think you are aware of my accident a few years back, if not, please ask, I'm not embarrassed or ashamed, and happy to explain where I can.

Since early July my life has been hospitals and local surgery for leg cleaning and fresh dressings.

At the moment, they're not sure why or what, but I'm cautious about saying things seem to be improving. Not because I want to be negative, the last time we all (inc the nurses and consultants) felt it was going the right way, my leg decided to backfire big time.

This bit may seem harsh, but I've asked if they'd consider the ultimate, amputation, which will come as no surprise, they're reluctant to undertake. I'm currently awaiting a series of tests to ascertain what might or is happening, but with the NHS backlog, things aren't moving very fast.

Even the back garden (which was a lifeline during the lockdowns) is more than a step too far at the moment

However, once I'm able to get out again, and daily leg cleans and dressing changes become less frequent, I will be out. 

Its also not good for my finances, I'm looking at cameras and camera gear!  Scream Grinning

• Hi Mike,
    Thank you for letting me know how you are and what's happening for you, I do remember how you ended up with your leg injuries and I can only hope that curative treatment for your current problem is not too far away and that you get back out and about again.
    Your photo posts are missed.
    Very best wishes for a good recovery,
    Trevor
  • Hi Mike, you've certainly been through the mill since that terrible accident a few years back and would also like to say we hope the doctors/nurses can get the nasty ulcers finally sorted out with more permanent relief and we really feel for you having to go through constant dressing changes and hospital visits.    Fingers crossed you will be back on the road and birding again soon as I know how frustrating life must be for you at the moment;   having met you I know your positive attitude will help you through the current challenges so good luck my friend.   As for camera gear ....  we just can't help ourselves browsing the latest cameras and lenses but having not used my camera much this year due to my own health issues I need to reaquaint myself with settings again before I go mirrorless.   LOL