Blackbirds attacking another blackbird nest?

We had the pleasure of watching a blackbird and her partner flying into our ivy with mouths full of food for their chicks....we could hear the chicks every time a parent went in.

After a couple of days the male wasn't seen again.

The female carried on doing a sterling job continually feeding the young...and again we could hear the chicks as she flew into the nest.

However, the past two nights...there has been a 'gathering' of up to six other blackbirds... watching from the roofs / trees in the area...some times flying down to the fence just near the nest.

The female has chased them off if she's near and we've still seen her go into the nest...but there doesn't seem to be as much 'commotion' from the chicks when she goes in.

What's going on?

Are they trying to kill the chicks? Have they killed the chicks?

• Sorry to bump my own thread.
    But anyone any idea.
    Thanks in advance
  • If the male Blackbird has either died or been killed then what could possibly be happening is that the other male Blackbirds are vying for the female's attention.

But what the 'new' male admirers won't want is to be involved with the offspring of another male 'rival' so they will kill or remove any chicks in that nest.

I fear - though I really shouldn't say 'fear' as this is just nature in all its glory - that this is what has happened here.
  • Mostly worms and insects...once saw her take a berry from our Tayberry.
    Saw her the other day taking food to under our garden bench....which I assume was to the fledged chick(s)?
    Seen a 'group' of 6 blackbirds and about 4 dunnocks flying round and perching on the fence near the entrance to the nest but never seen them go in.

She wasn't with them...she has a very distinguishing tail....so we affectionately called her 'raggy tail'