Towny Owl

Hi All

I am looking for some advice. About month ago I found owlet. I think she is she and her name is Scruffy. And I know lots of you will tell me I should leave it because parents were near by but it was matter of life or death as she was seconds away from cats getting her. 
I am the only person get close to her, and we got her large outdoor  cage (4:3:2m). I would like to release her but I worry she doesn’t have any experience in hunting. Does anyone have any advice how to successfully release Scruffy back to the wild?

• Oh dear - you need to contact a wildlife rehabber - pref an expert - I understand you felt that you were doing the right thing but I'm not entirely sure its legal.

These people may be able to help www.owl-help.org.uk/about-us
  • Thanks, I will check it outThumbsup

• Hello Izabel,    I don't understand if the parent birds were nearby as you have said why you would take this bird and put it in a cage despite cats nearby, surely you could have kept this owlet outside within range of where you found it and kept an eye on it (from distance) for a while so the adults could do what they do best to protect their offspring and feed it as nature intended.  Adult owls are extremely protective of their young so lucky you were not attacked;   the birds would be contact calling with one another.        What have you been feeding it ?         Was it on the ground when you found it - if so you could not have placed it at a slightly higher level off the ground which is safer away from cats.       I see you have a young corvid too so is that another "rescue" you carried out and are you a registered rehabber ?    you have to be extra cautious with Avian Flu around at the moment as it is not advisable to handle birds unless you are experienced.          I'm sorry but the best way forward is to get urgent professional help and hope this owlet survives and is able to be re-released back into the wild.    CJ has given you a good link where you should get the right advice.     HERE's another link.      Yes, they make very cute photos but it makes me extremely sad to see them.      

• I did not described all the circumstances of the rescue. And the owlet was the for quite few hours before I decided to something about it. And yes, I had a baby crow as well but he his back in a wild and he wasn’t the first one that successfully realised back to the nature. Your comment didn’t help me at all, just make me feel like you patronising me. You should change your approach, as I know things like that discourage others from getting help in the forums.
  • Just a shame that you have taken so long to ask for proper advice. You need a professional wildlife rehabber such as help from the link Germain provided.
  • Have you managed to find one near you  and call a rehabilitater  or are you still looking for one? 

• I have been warned about getting advice on sides like this and I learned my lesson.
    Thanks all for great advice.

• Truth is not always easy to swallow it would  be  interesting to know what sites  were recommended that would  give you the answer you wanted  to read

• Really hope they have reached out to the appropriate people :( sadly well meaning people don't always understand natural behaviour and that owlets branch before they can fly but are often perfectly able to get back up the trees - mum and dad were probably looking forward to a cat supper