Found a pigeon in my elderly mums garden. What to do?

Yesterday we found an injured, bloodied pigeon sheltering by mums conservatory. I approached it and at the very last second it flew off. Next door neighbour suspected it was her cat who had caused its injuries as she had seen it prowling. 

Today while visiting again we saw another pigeon in the exact same place but no visible injuries this time. I approached it with a towel and it made a feeble attempt to move but I was able to catch it easily. It has a ring on its leg and seemed ok with being handled was quite calm. I brought it home with me as I wasn't sure it was safe with the cat next door being out and about. 

It is safe in a box now and has had a drink of water but doesn't seem interested in the bird seed as yet.

I have the details from the leg ring.

Red ring reads GB 22D 92765

Blue ring reads 07398 402285.

Any advice please?

• Report it here www.rpra.org/.../

And let us know how you get on.
  • Isn't that a phone number on the blue ring? Have you tried calling it?
  • Racing pigeon

Stray reporting service here.

www.rpra.org/.../

and that dows look like a mobile phone number on the blue ring

(my 'experience' of racing pigeon rings dates back to the collection I gathered from under a peregrine falcon's nest after the offspring had fledged)
  • In reply to rspbailey:

oops - sorry didn't see your reply.
  • In reply to tuwit:

the '22' indicates it will have been ringed this year and is thus a first-year ('novice') pigeon.
  • going on my past experience very few owners are interested in lost pigeons unless they are from exceptional breeding stock. They usually say keep it or let it go and join the thousands of its feral cousins

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• As it is two days later, might be too late. But I personally wouldn’t be handling birds at this time. However, main reason I am typing is that I also wouldn’t be contacting rpra anymore. I have done so twice previously, (one predated, one alive). As Pete said, they are not interested, and in both cases, couldn’t be bothered to say so. All that happened was me putting in the effort of a one way conversation letting the pigeon owner know they needed to get a replacement. 

• In reply to ItisaRobbo:

One so called owner told me to catch the bird and wring its neck as,if it couldn't find its way home, it was no bl***y good to him for breeding stock. My reply  would  probably  get me banned  from  the  forum 

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Wow that's terrible!

And here's me thinking they loved their birds more than family.

Noted.
  • Only when they can clock in a winning time Rspb, then it's best corn money can buy while the kids still have to go to work cleaning chimneys to earn the money

Pete