Stoat?

I was at RSPB Ham wall in Somerset yesterday (Tuesday) and I saw what I at first thought was a Stoat it was very dark coloured and I am now thinking it was a Mink .

My question is has anyone else seen a mink at Ham wall or does anyone know of any reports of sightings?

I would have asked at the visitor centre but it was closed up when I got back to the car park.

Regards Mike

• A first wild guess would be mink, as already suggested, especially as other similar species will be apparent, check with the staff at Ham Wall.

A shame you never got a photo of it in your collection.

• Interesting. Used to live near there, thinking of returning for the day to do a bit of wildlife spotting, will keep eyes peeled.

What’s the difference between a Weasel and a Stoat?…..
    …One’s Weasily recognised, the other’s Stoatally different!

Sorry, I felt compelled to share that, it’s utterly awful and yet I’ll bet my binoculars you’re smiling.
  • Hi Mike,

Apologies that I hadn't seen this question sooner. We do indeed get mink here at Ham Wall. The dark colour you mention does suggest mink too. Stoat are generally a lighter brown with the dark end to the tail. Weasels much smaller than a stoat.

Size of a mink would be similar to a ferret, whilst otter are generally much bigger.

There is a programme throughout the Avalon Marshes to try and control the population as they can be quite damaging to our native wildlife.

People have had quite close encounters with mink - less shy than a stoat. They have run right past people and even gone into hides and screens on a couple of occasions.
  • Unknown said:
    Hi Mike,

Apologies that I hadn't seen this question sooner. We do indeed get mink here at Ham Wall. The dark colour you mention does suggest mink too. Stoat are generally a lighter brown with the dark end to the tail. Weasels much smaller than a stoat.

Size of a mink would be similar to a ferret, whilst otter are generally much bigger.

There is a programme throughout the Avalon Marshes to try and control the population as they can be quite damaging to our native wildlife.

People have had quite close encounters with mink - less shy than a stoat. They have run right past people and even gone into hides and screens on a couple of occasions.

While I know Steve's reply is to the original poster, who is also Mike, I'd like to add that mink is a problem for many reserves, and I know my local reserves, both RSPB and others, are actively trying to control mink numbers in the right way.

The perils of releasing non-native species without any thought.

• Some interesting replies here, I used to regularly see mink when I used to keep a couple of horses on the edge of Dartmoor I could get quite close to them when out riding then they would realise that it wasn't just a horse and that there was a horrible human on board and then they would be gone.

Regards Mike.
  • Unknown said:
    Some interesting replies here, I used to regularly see mink when I used to keep a couple of horses on the edge of Dartmoor I could get quite close to them when out riding then they would realise that it wasn't just a horse and that there was a horrible human on board and then they would be gone.

Regards Mike.

Nature doesn't hang around if it feels threatened, unless cornered.....

I've finally got round to having a look at your Flickr pages, some nice photos Mike, and I liked the  sunrise over RSPB Bowling Green Marsh.