Stoat?

I was at RSPB Ham wall in Somerset yesterday (Tuesday) and I saw what I at first thought was a Stoat it was very dark coloured and I am now thinking it was a Mink .

My question is has anyone else seen a mink at Ham wall or does anyone know of any reports of sightings?

I would have asked at the visitor centre but it was closed up when I got back to the car park.

Regards Mike

Pssst! Nudge nudge Wanna see some pictures Here

• There are otters there too. Could be any of those three. Best to speak to the staff there. You'll find at least one name amongst the blogs as he regularly provides updates. e.g. here

• In reply to ItisaRobbo:

Thanks for the link, there was a Mink seen on the 26th of May near the Avalon hide so having seen a number of mink over the years and indeed photographed one at close range I'm now convinced what I saw was indeed a Mink.
    Thanks again for the help, Regards Mike.

• A first wild guess would be mink, as already suggested, especially as other similar species will be apparent, check with the staff at Ham Wall.

A shame you never got a photo of it in your collection.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Interesting. Used to live near there, thinking of returning for the day to do a bit of wildlife spotting, will keep eyes peeled.

What’s the difference between a Weasel and a Stoat?…..
    …One’s Weasily recognised, the other’s Stoatally different!

Sorry, I felt compelled to share that, it’s utterly awful and yet I’ll bet my binoculars you’re smiling.
  • Hi Mike,

Apologies that I hadn't seen this question sooner. We do indeed get mink here at Ham Wall. The dark colour you mention does suggest mink too. Stoat are generally a lighter brown with the dark end to the tail. Weasels much smaller than a stoat.

Size of a mink would be similar to a ferret, whilst otter are generally much bigger.

There is a programme throughout the Avalon Marshes to try and control the population as they can be quite damaging to our native wildlife.

People have had quite close encounters with mink - less shy than a stoat. They have run right past people and even gone into hides and screens on a couple of occasions.
  • In reply to Stephen Couch:

Stephen Couch said:
    Hi Mike,

Apologies that I hadn't seen this question sooner. We do indeed get mink here at Ham Wall. The dark colour you mention does suggest mink too. Stoat are generally a lighter brown with the dark end to the tail. Weasels much smaller than a stoat.

Size of a mink would be similar to a ferret, whilst otter are generally much bigger.

There is a programme throughout the Avalon Marshes to try and control the population as they can be quite damaging to our native wildlife.

People have had quite close encounters with mink - less shy than a stoat. They have run right past people and even gone into hides and screens on a couple of occasions.

While I know Steve's reply is to the original poster, who is also Mike, I'd like to add that mink is a problem for many reserves, and I know my local reserves, both RSPB and others, are actively trying to control mink numbers in the right way.

The perils of releasing non-native species without any thought.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Some interesting replies here, I used to regularly see mink when I used to keep a couple of horses on the edge of Dartmoor I could get quite close to them when out riding then they would realise that it wasn't just a horse and that there was a horrible human on board and then they would be gone.

Regards Mike.

• In reply to Janner:

Janner said:
    Some interesting replies here, I used to regularly see mink when I used to keep a couple of horses on the edge of Dartmoor I could get quite close to them when out riding then they would realise that it wasn't just a horse and that there was a horrible human on board and then they would be gone.

Regards Mike.

Nature doesn't hang around if it feels threatened, unless cornered.....

I've finally got round to having a look at your Flickr pages, some nice photos Mike, and I liked the  sunrise over RSPB Bowling Green Marsh.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Slightly on topic, but many of my sightings of stoats, they often stop and look back at you before carrying on out of view.