Golden Oriole

• In reply to Seaman:

I was at Liverpool University years ago with my old man when he warned of the dangers of seafarers being unable to navigate without (then) new technologies and was scoffed at.

A decade later, the American military reintroduced the teaching of traditional navigation skills.

Still. In a few years, if you don't know whether or not it's a Willow Warbler, you'll be able to "put the USB in it", and find out.

Joy.
  • In reply to PimperneBloke:

Surely it's "argue".

Although I'm (reluctantly) willing to discuss.

(Now, where's my Google Glass?...)

D'
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave, I was still teaching traditional navigation skills such as map reading up to about 10 years ago, our UK OS maps can provide hours of entertainment even when we have no intention of visiting the area I now just enjoy using maps for my own pleasure

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Wish I could make it over, Pete.

I've been meaning to take a map reading course for years now.
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Much more enjoyable than using a phone ap and, in my mind safer although in strong winds trying to turn over a full O S of the Dales in strong winds is akin to sailing. I'm not decrying maps on phones but even on full batteries the signal can be dodgy to say the least.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Agreed re maps. I've old, enormous OS charts (rolled). Occasionally they miss out a tussock of gorse. But not very often.

In the metaverse though, we will need neither.
    Our VR/AI/machine learning all-body suits will impel us to go in (whatever the software engineers deem to be) the "correct" direction.

No will power, determination, or experience will be necessary (or welcome).

The future of walking.
    Think of the possibilities.

Etc.

;-)

Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:
    all-body suits

As long as the don't chiff.... or chaff!

• They will, when they're first available, be Ruff.

D'
  • These suits will be so busy chiffing and chaffing they will only be ruffly any use for wet weather

Pete

• In reply to Seaman:

That'll be the early models, Pete. Things will improve fast.

But if you only have a G1 VR/AI/machine learning all-body suit and it's cold out, I suggest you take a p'lover to keep the cold out.