Golden Oriole

Sighting of one male on View Island, Caversham at 1705 on 25th May 2022.

• Very nice..did you manage to get any pictures?

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Sadly not, but it was a distinctive bright yellow bird, about the size of a jay. There are several rows of poplar trees close to the river and View Island, so in line with their preferred habitat.
  • Chris, my wife saw 2 of these a couple of weeks ago local to us, she is still waiting for conformation of her field notes, unfortunately I was not with her that day

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Got to admit, I am not a fan of confirmation by description. Not suggesting this has happened here, but there are always going to be cases of looking up sightings when at home, and then describing what was online or in the book rather than describing what was seen.

• In reply to ItisaRobbo:

After 10+ years as local recorder Robbo I can agree with that but just think on this instant photo i d has only been available to the everyday birder for a few years do you discount all records prior that technology? The guys on the rarities committee are not easily fooled,they go way past trial by forum

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Cameras have been around a long time. Describing a male golden oriole is foolproof and unmistakable. ‘It was bright yellow, lots a black incl wings, size of approx green woodpecker. Was in a poplar tree and it was May’. If a recorder accepts descriptions, I have just seen a male golden oriole and had it confirmed. People doing the reporting, I am sure, believe what they think they saw. I think most recorders want more than my description though.
  • Our group certainly would Robbo, I have seen some reports more or less taken from Collins or similar, why bother ? they aren't getting an OBE for it Most Golden Oriel claims end up as Green Woodpeckers seen in bright sunlight bleaching the green colour out
    Cameras may have been around a long time but not the convenient type we use these days

Pete

• Technology is the answer.

When we've all been forcibly interned in the metaverse, we'll have AI-enabled real-time identification.

Imagine the time and effort savings.

Although we'll have recycle the recorders. Or help them "pivot".

Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave just think how boring, nothing to argue about unless we have an I T collapse

Pete

• In reply to Seaman:

Surely it's "discuss", not "argue"