Loch Garten 17th & 18th May

  • In reply to Catlady:

    Lynn L said:

    Glad you managed a trip to LG Mike, it is a lovely place, I have been twice, saw EJ in one of her last years but never mananaged to see Odin. It is so exciting that the new nest is being used after the last many years of saddness. Hopefully it will not be long before we see the first bobblehead. This pair have not yet been officially named but on here we have been calling them Axel (his leg ring being AX6) Mistle (she has a speckled breast like a Mistle Thrush). Was it not yourself that came up with that name? Dochra is a Loch Arkaig. Hopefully we will revisit and see the new centre and the Ospreys.

    Maybe I am not reading your report correct and that you were also at Loch Arkaig and you know the names of the Osprey's perfectly well!

    Thank you CL.

    I think I've created the confusion as to Loch Arkaig by using the name Dorcha, and I haven't visited Arkaig. Thankfully Wendy has put me straight on that one, and hopefully helped to sort out any confusion others may have.

    It was a fascinating place to visit, and there was a lot of info to take in, and my old grey matter isn't quite what it could have been on the day.

    It was also fascinating watching their WTE nest on the two consecutive days, with the chick trying to stand one day, and the next upright and steady.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to WendyBartter:

    WendyBartter said:
    CL, this is a different Mike to the one that named Mistle!

    Now I am confused, is Mistle on the dedicated LG thread?

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to PimperneBloke:

    PimperneBloke said:
    Glad you had a good time, Mike, looking forward to catching up with the rest of your visit :o)

    Thank you PB, it was a fascinating place to visit.

    The other reports are up, with the Dolphin Centre at Spey Bay and Insh Marsh visits.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Mike B:

    Michael B said:

    WendyBartter said:
    CL, this is a different Mike to the one that named Mistle!

    Now I am confused, is Mistle on the dedicated LG thread?

    Yes Mistle and Axel are at Loch Garten Mike, our names for them.

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

  • Hi Mike

    Looks like you had a similar experience to us when we went to Loch Garten, I did take some pictures from the monitors and resolution of the Osprey one was much higher than the other two and gave much better results. I'll post the actual results in part 4 of our Scottish trip later.

    While we were there the other two monitors were showing a White-tailed Eagle with young and a Goshawk on an empty nest, were they still there when you visited?

    Glad you enjoyed your visit.

    Trevor

  • In reply to TJS:

    TJS said:

    Hi Mike

    Looks like you had a similar experience to us when we went to Loch Garten, I did take some pictures from the monitors and resolution of the Osprey one was much higher than the other two and gave much better results. I'll post the actual results in part 4 of our Scottish trip later.

    While we were there the other two monitors were showing a White-tailed Eagle with young and a Goshawk on an empty nest, were they still there when you visited?

    Glad you enjoyed your visit.

    Trevor

    Photographing from monitors can be fraught with problems, so I set the camera shutter to 1/50 sec, based on the refresh rate of the old Cathode Ray Tube ((CRT) TV, which had a refresh rate of 1/60 sec. Any faster shutter speeds would just leave horizontal bars across the final image because the shutter was too fast.

    I think the refresh rate is still the same in Region 1, which is PAL, so the image will still look grainy, but shouldn't have the bars across

    I keep meaning to experiment with our TV, though I've been told you can go up to 1/125 sec without too much of an issue.

    If someone knows more, please feel free to share the knowledge, if not, I'll be experimenting, the beauty of digital over film.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Mike B:

    Hi Mike,
    I took pictures of the Loch Garden monitors at 1/200, 1/250 and 1/400 sec without any issues. I think that LCD TV's refresh in a different way to the old CRT TV's. They refresh the whole screen each time at 60 or 120 Hz, not by top to bottom scanning as the old TV's did, so no issue with banding.
    Hope this helps,
    Trevor
  • In reply to TJS:

    TJS said:
    Hi Mike,


    I took pictures of the Loch Garden monitors at 1/200, 1/250 and 1/400 sec without any issues. I think that LCD TV's refresh in a different way to the old CRT TV's. They refresh the whole screen each time at 60 or 120 Hz, not by top to bottom scanning as the old TV's did, so no issue with banding.
    Hope this helps,
    Trevor

    Thank you for the info.  

    I know they refresh differently, it was what impact it would have on the final images I wasn't sure on, and as you know, there is a lot of questionable info on the WWW, particularly when it comes from unknown sources.

    I'll still have a play around, just to see how fast the shutter can go before its beyond redemption.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • Hi Mike,

    This picture was taken at 1/200 sec and looks quite clear.

    Trevor 

  • In reply to TJS:

    Very clear, better than my 1/50 sec, which can out better than I anticipated.

    I've still yet to play around with the TV and camera, I did get the tripod out in the living room, and Mrs PR did cast that look toward me!   

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler