Loch Garten 17th & 18th May

The first of the Scotland trip reports. I'll incorporate the two Loch Garten visits, the first being on the Tues 17th

The welcome was perfect from Gareth as we entered the reserve, and walking along the path to the visitor centre, it was good to see the RSPB encouraging the youngsters with a faries den.

Also seen alongside the path was a lot of cotton grass

I didn't get to take many photos, the intention was to see the osprey, which we did, and Dorcha which I believe is her name, was keeping the eggs nice and warm. However, you cannot (and understandably so) get any nearer to the nest other than the visitor centre, and with the added photographic challenge, the viewing windows were covered with a fine mesh to prevent any reflections disturbing the osprey pair, which are new to the reserve this year.

So I grabbed a couple from the big monitors in the VC just in case, but I was incredibly surprised to get the following results.

Uncropped

Heavily cropped

Trying my luck a second visit was required where I would try the 2x converter with the camera on the tripod, which understandably failed. The floor wasn't solid, so the slightest foot movement made the camera shake, even at 1/2000 sec shutter speed. I'm including these details in case someone wants to try a similar attempt.

But, the important thing is, ask first before setting up, because it can get busy in the VC.

There is also a pair of white tailed eagles successfully nesting, though there is no webcam for them. On the first day, one chick was trying, unsuccessfully, to stand. Here is a photo of the nest taken from the large screened monitor, so it will be a bit blurry.

BTW, the camera settings were based on the old cathode ray tube (CRT) TV screens, which had a refresh rate of around 1/60 second, so the shutter speed was set to 1/50 to avoid wide horizontal bars forming on the photo. I've no idea what the refresh rates are for LED screens and the situation wasn't really ideal to experiment any further, but something I need to look into for future reference.

Back to the first visit, there were plenty of chaffinches siskins and great tits at the reserve. But the siskins and great tits didn't want to be photographed, so a couple of Mr Chaffie's photos to follow.

The second visit, on the 18th was no less interesting.

Again, a pretty decent photo of Dorcha without the 2x convertor,

And a ghost ant taking away a dead white tailed bumblebee

Two brilliant visits to RSPB Loch Garten, and finally, a photo of loch Garten itself

• Lynn L said:

Glad you managed a trip to LG Mike, it is a lovely place, I have been twice, saw EJ in one of her last years but never mananaged to see Odin. It is so exciting that the new nest is being used after the last many years of saddness. Hopefully it will not be long before we see the first bobblehead. This pair have not yet been officially named but on here we have been calling them Axel (his leg ring being AX6) Mistle (she has a speckled breast like a Mistle Thrush). Was it not yourself that came up with that name? Dochra is a Loch Arkaig. Hopefully we will revisit and see the new centre and the Ospreys.

Maybe I am not reading your report correct and that you were also at Loch Arkaig and you know the names of the Osprey's perfectly well!

Thank you CL.

I think I've created the confusion as to Loch Arkaig by using the name Dorcha, and I haven't visited Arkaig. Thankfully Wendy has put me straight on that one, and hopefully helped to sort out any confusion others may have.

It was a fascinating place to visit, and there was a lot of info to take in, and my old grey matter isn't quite what it could have been on the day.

It was also fascinating watching their WTE nest on the two consecutive days, with the chick trying to stand one day, and the next upright and steady.

• WendyBartter said:
    CL, this is a different Mike to the one that named Mistle!

Now I am confused, is Mistle on the dedicated LG thread?

• PimperneBloke said:
    Glad you had a good time, Mike, looking forward to catching up with the rest of your visit :o)

Thank you PB, it was a fascinating place to visit.

The other reports are up, with the Dolphin Centre at Spey Bay and Insh Marsh visits.

• Michael B said:

WendyBartter said:
    CL, this is a different Mike to the one that named Mistle!

Now I am confused, is Mistle on the dedicated LG thread?

Yes Mistle and Axel are at Loch Garten Mike, our names for them.

• Hi Mike

Looks like you had a similar experience to us when we went to Loch Garten, I did take some pictures from the monitors and resolution of the Osprey one was much higher than the other two and gave much better results. I'll post the actual results in part 4 of our Scottish trip later.

While we were there the other two monitors were showing a White-tailed Eagle with young and a Goshawk on an empty nest, were they still there when you visited?

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Trevor

• TJS said:

Hi Mike

Looks like you had a similar experience to us when we went to Loch Garten, I did take some pictures from the monitors and resolution of the Osprey one was much higher than the other two and gave much better results. I'll post the actual results in part 4 of our Scottish trip later.

While we were there the other two monitors were showing a White-tailed Eagle with young and a Goshawk on an empty nest, were they still there when you visited?

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Trevor

Photographing from monitors can be fraught with problems, so I set the camera shutter to 1/50 sec, based on the refresh rate of the old Cathode Ray Tube ((CRT) TV, which had a refresh rate of 1/60 sec. Any faster shutter speeds would just leave horizontal bars across the final image because the shutter was too fast.

I think the refresh rate is still the same in Region 1, which is PAL, so the image will still look grainy, but shouldn't have the bars across

I keep meaning to experiment with our TV, though I've been told you can go up to 1/125 sec without too much of an issue.

If someone knows more, please feel free to share the knowledge, if not, I'll be experimenting, the beauty of digital over film.

• Hi Mike,
    I took pictures of the Loch Garden monitors at 1/200, 1/250 and 1/400 sec without any issues. I think that LCD TV's refresh in a different way to the old CRT TV's. They refresh the whole screen each time at 60 or 120 Hz, not by top to bottom scanning as the old TV's did, so no issue with banding.
    Hope this helps,
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    Hi Mike,

I took pictures of the Loch Garden monitors at 1/200, 1/250 and 1/400 sec without any issues. I think that LCD TV's refresh in a different way to the old CRT TV's. They refresh the whole screen each time at 60 or 120 Hz, not by top to bottom scanning as the old TV's did, so no issue with banding.
    Hope this helps,
    Trevor

Thank you for the info.  Thumbsup

I know they refresh differently, it was what impact it would have on the final images I wasn't sure on, and as you know, there is a lot of questionable info on the WWW, particularly when it comes from unknown sources.

I'll still have a play around, just to see how fast the shutter can go before its beyond redemption.

• Hi Mike,

This picture was taken at 1/200 sec and looks quite clear.

Trevor 

• Very clear, better than my 1/50 sec, which can out better than I anticipated.

I've still yet to play around with the TV and camera, I did get the tripod out in the living room, and Mrs PR did cast that look toward me! FearfulGrin