Swifts, Swallows & Martins, share your photos and videos here 2022

It's getting to that time of year, when those hirundinidaes, or for the less educated like me, swifts, swallows, house and sand martins are returning to the UK to breed. We've read and heard the stories where the nesting sites have been blocked, off with netting etc, here we can share the happier moments of these birds in their majesty.

They can be tricky little birds to photograph in flight, fast, darting around, up-down. flying around (for those wondering, the words came from the opening theme to Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines film, where a group of wouldbe aviators flew from London to Paris in around 25 hours during the VERY early days of flying, theme tune HERE), but why not have a go, so I'll start the 2022 thread off with, very much a case of grab the camera and shoot photos, because the sun was at the wrong angle, and hadn't been good all day to be honest.

The link to last years thread Swifts, Swallows & Martins, share your photos and videos here 2021 for those who want to look back at the many photos shared, and all were good and most welcome to view.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/277106/swifts-swallows-martins-share-your-photos-and-videos-here/1354849#pifragment-4285=1

My first swallow for 2022

My first, I think, house martin, please correct me if I'm wrong.  [post edit, sand martin, thanks to Bob and Zo for the correction]

Both taken at RSPB Conwy

• gaynorsl said:
    Not Hazel Mike, the photos would have been visible if it was Hazy, it was me up at my daughter's home, I only tried to get a few photos after seeing the youngsters in the nest, didn't hang around long though as the parents wanted to come in to feed and I don't like disturbing them.

Doh!   Flushed

I really do need to get out more!  Grin

• Blimey, Bob, did you have to provide you're own footstool to get in that close lol Stuck out tongue winking eye

• Nice visit today in my garden, or on the telegraph wires anyway

So glossy

I was snapping away happily, but so happy with this one

One more,

They are enjoying this weather, will be off soon I suppose, I miss their chatter.

• The joy of watching swifts, swallows, house and sand martins for many of us is almost over. The swifts have gone for many of us, the swallows not too far behind, and not much longer after the swallows, the house and sand martins will have all flown south.

There are still some areas with swifts, swallows along with house and sand martins, so the thread will not close until the end of the year, by that time, all will have flown south. So there's still time to post your photos.

The last time I was at Charlecote Park, was around mid-June, so it was good to see the house martins again.

house martins, departing the nests after feeding the brood...

While watching the Jacob sheep and fallow doe's, I was getting buzzed by what I initially thought were house martins, but to my surprise and the person I was chatting to at the time, they were actually swallows!

Back to the house martins.

Peek-a-boo

I'm coming in with dinner....

The flying frenzie....

more food coming in...

Feeding time...

off to get some more....

and under the archway of the gatehouse, which is on the east side as you approach the house.....

Pee-a-boo

Peek-a-boo times two....

About bloomin' time, I'm starving....

• A visit to Charlecote a week later, among the housemartins, were swallows, and I just managed to snap this pair racing past....

Housemartin chicks patiently awaiting the next food delivery....

The housemartins were busy bringing food in for their broods.....

• A few from yesterday's walk. We did a different route and got a change of scenery. I Know the first two are Swallows, are the second two without the tail streamers?

•  Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, the housemartins are making the best of the warm weather with a late brood!

the parents busy flying in with food....

and off for more....

back again....

and again....

and again....

• 9th July 12:53 pm

Elmore, Wholly Gellato

• I havnt seen the Swallows for a long time now cause I havnt seen them much or at all at Elmore, Gloucestershire partly cause of cold, windy and rainy weather and I havnt been to Frocester Hill for a long time and when I did go there was no Swallows . I went to  Frocester Hill this month but when I went it was sunny even though the weather was cold. And as soon as I arived and got out the car they were flying low over my head and all over the place. So they haven’t left yet.

Saturday 8th October 3:00 pm