Swifts, Swallows & Martins, share your photos and videos here 2022

It's getting to that time of year, when those hirundinidaes, or for the less educated like me, swifts, swallows, house and sand martins are returning to the UK to breed. We've read and heard the stories where the nesting sites have been blocked, off with netting etc, here we can share the happier moments of these birds in their majesty.

They can be tricky little birds to photograph in flight, fast, darting around, up-down. flying around (for those wondering, the words came from the opening theme to Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines film, where a group of wouldbe aviators flew from London to Paris in around 25 hours during the VERY early days of flying, theme tune HERE), but why not have a go, so I'll start the 2022 thread off with, very much a case of grab the camera and shoot photos, because the sun was at the wrong angle, and hadn't been good all day to be honest.

The link to last years thread Swifts, Swallows & Martins, share your photos and videos here 2021 for those who want to look back at the many photos shared, and all were good and most welcome to view.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/277106/swifts-swallows-martins-share-your-photos-and-videos-here/1354849#pifragment-4285=1

My first swallow for 2022

My first, I think, house martin, please correct me if I'm wrong.  [post edit, sand martin, thanks to Bob and Zo for the correction]

Both taken at RSPB Conwy

• I havnt had a chance to go to the barn under Coaly peak so havnt seen how they are since my last update. I found a place in  Elmore that has a farm called Whooly Gelato and they have a speacial kind of milk which is famous over there. It has barns that have cows and house sparrows and is based on the flood plane of the river Severn they get barn Swallows flying over the field and wildflower meadow. and over the barns aswell. Its not the same as being able to see how the barn Swallows parents and young are doing back on the Cotswold escarpment under Coaly peak but it’s better than not being able to see any. But that’s not due to a bad leg like you have. The main thing is you had a good time. But I know what you mean by Missing geting out at least you will be able to see the house Martins in a few weeks

• Billysdad said:

Excellent shots Bob. My favourite is the last one. It is very difficult to get detail in the face - as I have found out myself, but you have managed admirably there. Well done ... 

I was sure that I replied yesterday, but my post seems to have gone! Never mind.

I was pretty sure that I liked your reply too. Surely it can't be bad Software Slight smile Slight smile

• here’s the film of a Swift passing over the garden on the 1st July 

when they first arrived 

• Zo Clark said:

I havnt had a chance to go to the barn under Coaly peak so havnt seen how they are since my last update. I found a place in  Elmore that has a farm called Whooly Gelato and they have a speacial kind of milk which is famous over there. It has barns that have cows and house sparrows and is based on the flood plane of the river Severn they get barn Swallows flying over the field and wildflower meadow. and over the barns aswell. Its not the same as being able to see how the barn Swallows parents and young are doing back on the Cotswold escarpment under Coaly peak but it’s better than not being able to see any. But that’s not due to a bad leg like you have. The main thing is you had a good time. But I know what you mean by Missing geting out at least you will be able to see the house Martins in a few weeks

You'll need to get there very soon, because it won't be long before they're getting ready to fly south again.

• I know. I just didn’t manage to get chance due to certain circumstances and cause I been so busy
  • Is it not late for young Swallows?   but here they are

They nest here every year and are used to the horse entering etc each day

Just to prove there are swallows around, now stop laughing, that is the best I can do!!!!!!!

No hang on , there might be two here

My daughter and hubby were in fits watching me, just as soon as I put camera down the swallows would swoop overhead laughing :-)    Yes they have forked tails, the swallows I mean.   The young might be ready for fledging I guess.

Lot to learn

• The ones by the house...could they be swifts? The wings look long compared to the body.... but you know me and guessing ID's :o)
  • Nice photos Hazel.

I would have thought the same as you regarding the swallows being late having a brood, let alone getting ready to fly south, that was until yesterday, when I went to Baddesley Clinton with my wife, and saw pretty much the same as you, a brood probably 7-10 days old, and plenty airborne of swallow activity.

Photos from my new R5 to follow very soon.....