The Young of 2022 share your photos here

Tried to find a thread for this years young so if there is one please point me in the right direction and I'll delete this one !        Last years thread for 2021 HERE

The Moorhen pair on our water garden now have hatchlings !

and just taken to the water for first time - or three of them did             Difficult to get photos as I had to lean right over the balcony 3 floors up. !!  

and one unhatched egg ....

both parents doing a sterling job 

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow - how lovely! I have not seen moorhen chicks before. Thanks for posting.
  • I believe you are the first to kick it off Hazel and what a cracker may I add ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• You're definitely first to the pass, Hazel. Usually, monkeycheese (paul) beats everyone to it with baby pigeons.

Cracking set of those cute chicks with very attentive parents.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks everyone, couldn't believe this thread hadn't kicked off already. Just when I thought there were 6 hatchlings, we now have 7 and still one unhatched which I think is unlikely to be viable. Only danger lurking is the Grey Heron which comes in as their own breeding season is underway so the moorhens will have their work cut out protecting this large brood. The hatchlings have taken to the water almost instantly and amazing to see how well they can climb back onto the raised nest. !

Regards, Hazel 

• Linda257 said:

I believe you are the first to kick it off Hazel and what a cracker may I add ;-)

I'm not sure you should be calling Hazy a cracker - I know she has had her moments from time to time but ......

• I haven't seen any young yet Hazy so glad to see those gorgeous little Moorhen chicks, lovely pics.

Lot to learn

• Likewise, I've not seen any young yet, so thank you HAzel for kicking off this years thread, with nice moorhen chick photos.

• Late to the party, sorry! But thanks for the new thread Hazel, and what lovely shots of the Moorhens! I wonder if there are often that many chicks, but maybe a high mortality rate--we've rarely seen more than two or three chicks. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Kind regards, Ann

• First ducklings I have seen this spring:

• As usual for me, no photos as I never carry my camera, but this last week we have seen Wheatear, Meadow Pipit and Ring Ouzel all carrying food back to nests when we visited our regular moorland area. I think we can safely presume that they have young in the nest. Nearer home we have seen Greylag, Mallard and Tufted Duck with young. In the case of the Tufted there was a hungry looking Heron close by so I'm not sure how many survive. Interesting times, we have some species with young and some still claiming their nest sites and even the odd species yet to arrive on our patches. I really love the excitement of Spring even after many years birding.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can