Bold Robin 2022

Since March last year we've had a tame Robin take meal worms from us in the garden and he's been through a long story with us. Finding a partner, raising two lots of children, moulting etc.

If anybody missed it the whole story is on the link below.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/276041/bold-robin#pifragment-4285=8

This is our tame Robin coming for his favourite live mealworms.

In January he started to be accompanied by another Robin.

She would come down for worms if I put some down and stood back a little way and is gradually getting bolder but not quite taking them from the hand yet.

Now the male has started to feed the female regularly and set me the challenge of capturing the hand over. Mostly she's just in the hedge so I can't get a side on shot and he's in the way of the moment of passing the worm most times.

When not taking worms he's often in a tree just the other side of our hedge singing.

This morning I put the tub of worms down and he fed her straight from the tub, he gives her up to 6 worms at a time taking the odd one for himself.

Hopefully other interesting year will unfold for our Robins.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Things are moving on with our Robins. Now instead of both the Robins turning together with the female waiting to be fed by the male the male turns up on his on, eats a few worms then gets a beak full and goes off with them elsewhere in the garden, we assume to fed the female because he's soon back for more. They still do occasionally turn up together.

A couple of days ago they were seen together and one brought something up and the other one dropped down to get it and I think eat it.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• He is such a beauty Trevor, and doing just the same as Titch here, he eats a few mealies and then fills up his beak and off he goes only to return in a few minutes for more. Today though he has preferred pastry for the fat content I suppose. No sign of the female here though so you are lucky to get those views of the both of them, and hopefully some youngsters later on.

Lot to learn

• The male often comes if I whistle when he's not about and occasionally both and on odd occasions just the female. A couple of times she's taken a worm from my hand if it's resting on the box, but it's a dash in and out then she loses her nerve to do it again, then I put some worms down and stand back for her.
    Trevor
  • I forgot to say, it's really good to hear that Titch is still about for you to see and enjoy.
    Trevor
  • He is six this Spring Trevor, amazing and privileged to have him still around. His antics can be good to watch, the sparrows today were ganging up on him so he stands on the dustbin knowing I will go out to feed him so off they go and he feeds in peace. Other times he comes into the shed and looks around for spiders to carry off or eat there and then. I enjoy it when he twarbles away happily, but of course not now, he is too busy looking after his missus:-)

Lot to learn

• Here's the latest update on our Robins. They are definitely getting on with things now, a couple of time I've seen one of them with a little white poo sack in their beak which they wipe off on a twig. The male is still the boldest and most regular at finding us in the garden or staring at us through the conservatory glass asking directly for mealworms, but the female often accompanies him when we are by the workshop where we keep all the bird food and occasionally sits on my hand long enough to take a couple of worms but she's still not as confident as the male.

Yesterday the male came to my wife's hand and sat and took what he wanted.

Then the female came and dashed in to just crab a single worm but fumbled it.

She did come back for another go.. Sometimes we've had both taking worms together, they are quite busy now they are raising their family in our neighbours garden somewhere. Hopefully there'll be fledglings sometime soon.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Love those pics, especially seeing the female coming to take the mealies too, hope the weather gets warmer so they can raise their chicks more easily.

Lot to learn

• This afternoon the two them followed me across the garden to where I keep the mealworms, the male took 3 of my hand and shot off to the nest then the female sat on my hand, picked up 4 and followed her partner.
    Trevor
  • You will need to increase your order!!!! the chicks will be next on the scrounge :-)

Lot to learn

• A long overdue update on our tame Robins.

After producing two broods of youngsters the parents are still coming for their mealworms. The male always confidently landing on our hands but the female much more cautious and only occasionally landing on our hands.

After a very busy spring and early summer they are both looking a bit the worse for wear.

This is the male coming in looking very tatty.

The female waited for me to put some worms down for her this time. She hasn't had tail feathers for a while now.

Best Wishes,

Trevor