Butterflies and Moths 2022

Thought I would kick this years thread off with the beautiful Peacock  spotted today - I have had quite a few moths around the front door but not deployed the lights recently 

Edit: 2021 thread can be found here community.rspb.org.uk/.../butterflies-moths-2021

Cin J

• Of course we don't mind, the thread is dedicated to butterflies and moths, and as always, nice to see. Also, my opinion, moths are very underrated, because many are very dark, as in camouflaged but there are some very brightly coloured ones, as colourful as many butterflies.

• There are a lot of un colourful moths. Most of them are camouflaged cause it helps them blend in to the shape of stick or blend in to there surroundings. Until you know why some creatures looks so dull they can seem very boring and in interesting compared to the more colourful ones. The colourful ones are more noticeable by Wild animals and us because there poisonous to other Wild animals it’s natures way of warning others this is poisonous so don’t eat it. If any animals try to eat them then they usually find them disgusting and learn to avoid it in the future. Cause that this survival mechanism has worked and that’s why it’s still here and hasn’t gone exstinct.

With the most moths. Camouflage is more effective for survival than being colourful. They mimic there surroundings like sticks or leafs or blend in to the colour of there surroundings. With some Wild animals In some cases like with spiders for example boring colours help them blend in so that prey doesn’t notice them and they can catch them unaware. Which has helped them survive

With moths camaflauge has helped them go un noticed or be mistakened for part of there environment. Some are so good that even we don’t realise that branch or stick or part of the tree was actually a moth. There’s one moth that’s so good it looks like a broken off Birch twig called the Buff Tip. It’s Because it’s so effective for survival  why it’s still around today. Moths are one of those creatures that show some things are more interesting than they look. Appearances can be deceiving and there’s more to everything than you think.

There are are some colourful moths out there where it has helped there survival though like the Cinnabar  moth 

Buff tip 

• Interestingly most people think that moths come out in the evening. But there are also Moths that come out in the day aswell. A couple of years ago before I learned how to identify most species of Wild animals.  I used to wonder how to tell the difference between Butterfly’s and Moths since you can see some during the day aswell as ones that come out in the evening.  But I learned one of the ways to distinguish them from each other. It’s not the only way but one of the ways to distinguish them is that Most Moths tend to be smaller than Butterflys. 

• Zo Clark said:

Interestingly most people think that moths come out in the evening. But there are also Moths that come out in the day aswell. A couple of years ago before I learned how to identify most species of Wild animals.  I used to wonder how to tell the difference between Butterfly’s and Moths since you can see some during the day aswell as ones that come out in the evening.  But I learned one of the ways to distinguish them from each other. It’s not the only way but one of the ways to distinguish them is that Most Moths tend to be smaller than Butterflys. 

That's right, though most here, and certainly the regulars will be aware that various moth species are out in the day as well as at night.

• Also a difference between butterflies and moths, so I am lead to believe, is that Butterflies have hammer shaped knobs on the end of their antenae, whereas moths have feathery saw shaped pointed ends.

While I'm on I will add a couple of photos of the talked about Cinnabar Moth, not from this year, but I think they are a lovely insect :-)

• There good. I been trying to look for the photo of the cinnabar moth I took at the Orchard a few years ago but I can’t find it at the moment. I think they will probably be out again at the Orchard this year like last time

• I havnt seen any other Moths about except this one so I have some pictures of the Meal moth from today.  Apologys it isn’t a different moth.this is the only one I seen so far and was flying around last night 

• It was humid enough for a Butterfly and it rained as Natures way of cooling itself down abit 

https://youtube.com/shorts/-HtGfavFNiI?feature=share

• It was flying in the rain in the garden