Butterflies and Moths 2022

Thought I would kick this years thread off with the beautiful Peacock  spotted today - I have had quite a few moths around the front door but not deployed the lights recently 

Edit: 2021 thread can be found here community.rspb.org.uk/.../butterflies-moths-2021

Cin J

•  The garden was full of Butterflies today so just had to take a few to put up starting with this nice Small white Pieris

Tortoiseshell

Underneath they are nearly as pretty

First Comma for me this year

So you get two

Aren't they huge compared with the others

Whoops another Comma flew in

This just had to be taken

You can see why the eyes have it :-)

Mustn't leave out the Meadow Brown

Then another Comma matching the Marigold

Hope these aren't too many for the thread.

Lot to learn

• What a lovely selection of flutters and it's so good to see Torties -as long as they load it's never too many

Cin J

• Lovely selection Gaynor :o) I see I need to get a bigger buddlea lol Thanks for sharing
  • Quite an assortment there Gaynor. I haven't seen very many Small Whites this year, and what I have seen haven't landed. We seem to get a lot of Speckled Woods around here. Thanks for sharing ... Relaxed

• Stunning set of photos Gaynor and good to see the butterflies and the beautiful flowers.

Regards, Hazel 

• Excellent set of captures Gaynor, an impressive collection, have about five different buddleias & they are bee & butterfly magnets!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thank you all very much, it was lovely to see them all yesterday, today it has been chillier and not so prolific, but the Peacock did return, not of course that it could be the same one :-) Loads of Gatekeepers the other day, it's funny how you get to see different species at different times, I have yet to see a Green Veined White and many others really, small Copper haven't arrived here yet come to think of it.

Lot to learn

• Oh wow lucky you to have so many butterflies visit Gaynor!! Sadly I still have no luck growing buddlea.....no idea why they won't grow in my garden...even the moths don't wanna be seen now...hiding under the door frame!

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I cut the Buddleia back last year Linda, and when I returned from LM it greeted me like a trifid in the garden, just huge.
    They seem to like the salty soil as grow well on Anglesey. Your moth is a beauty, makes up for not getting the butterflies, they will no doubt appear when ready.

Lot to learn

• Found this large moth on the balcony terrace but not sure what it is so will leave it up to the experts  !!

quick photo taken on mobile and it does blend in with the paving so hope there's enough to ID

Regards, Hazel