Bats in January

• In reply to Linda257:

Which means it's warm chez vous Linda.

Stop making me jealous...

• In reply to tony:

Thanks Tony, I can't say I even know what their poo looks like, I must do some research! Hopefully your poo increase is more roosting bats eh! I think I may look into installing some bat boxes if a can find a suitable place ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• In reply to tony:

Tony T said:
    the pile of poo on the logs keeping the wood store cover in place

I'm guessing your store is covered, Tony.

Mrs. CH told me recently that she had read that males can use wood stores to overwinter. Ours isn't super accessible to a bat on the wing, but I've been being particularly careful around our, open store since.

Tony T said:
    there is a much greater build up of "the stuff" below them than we've seen in recent years. No idea if that means more bats roosting or more bats being active currently

Or it's the same bats, but they're following some kind of "cleansing" diet...   ;-)

Dave 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

.Highs of 9°today and 11°tomorrow so we shall see if your hearsay is correct lol

• In reply to Linda257:

Linda257 said:
    what their poo looks like

Looks much like mouse poo, Linda. Small, dark pellets. Once dry, you can crush it between your fingers, mouse poo (I'm advised) being fairly uncrushable once dry.

A good biologist can ID bat species from poo, if you're interested.

Fortunately (for us), the regional expert lives in the next village to us and has been helpful in casing our attic. In return, we colony count for him. Was quite memorable to see him turn up with his "display box" of poo from different species a few years back.

Dave 

• In reply to Linda257:

Linda257 said:
    Highs of 9°today and 11°tomorrow

We too have 9 today: 1 Celsius here, and 1 Celsius in the eight other villages in the valley. 

Which makes 9.

;-)

• In reply to Dave - CH:

I am only familiar with fox poo in the garden as it's big enough and usually right in the middle of the lawn lol.

Och av only got a Chemist in the house.... damn ;-)

A memorable box of poo...wow lol

• In reply to Dave - CH:

No need for your jealousy then ;-)

• In reply to Linda257:

Linda257 said:
    right in the middle of the lawn

That's kind of them.

We once had one carry off a hedgehog feeding bowl into long grass, empty the bowl, and deposit its thanks Mr. Whippy style directly in the bowl. Only thing missing was the flake.

More recently, we've had a jumper stolen from a cat box (just found that one in a corner of the garden yesterday). And a trailcam carried 30 meters across the garden. All foxes.

Martens are even more creative pooers though; always look for the most conspicuous spot...

Linda257 said:
    av only got a Chemist in the house

I'm sure if you give over your kitchen to an extended analysis, your chemist will be able to do the job!  ;-)

Maybe best not to have friends around for dinner though...

• Sounds like a great wildlife playground you have Dave!

Martens...mmm now your making me jealous!!!

Aye that's right it was the sewage works he stared off his career in then moved to water....Needless to say he has no sense of smell these days..

Friends for dinner !!! A prefer to feed the wildlife ;-)