Bats in January

Is it strange I have a bat flying about the garden today??? I thought they would be hibernating. I usually see them , 2 or 3 of them all during summer nights but just as I saw that one flutter about the garden there just now I thought mm that's strange and has  made me curious to find out more about them.

Any help greatly appreciated. 

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Have you had a mild spell? I have seen Pips flying in winter and I wonder if it happens if their roost warms up

Cin J

• It was about 10° today but with the wind it certainly didn't feel like that . Probably above average for this time of year in the central belt and we did have sunshine today aswell..I have never really took note before when they disappear or reappear. Stupid I know! I just enjoy watching them;-)

• Not bats in January but over the Christmas period "our" bats put in an appearance on several evenings. We have a roost of Pipistrelles in our loft, we are in a top flat and there is access to the loft, which we thought of as only a summer roost biut it seems they are present all this winter so far.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Interesting Pete, a dont know where mines roost but must be somewhere closes as they tend to use my garden as a warm up for their wee wings but then again I could be totally wrong and the are just munching on all the insects lol...am still learning!

• I always thought that bats came out in winter because they had been disturbed but the only access to ours is through the hatch in our flat and we nobody has been in through that for ages.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Maybe it is just the very mild winter we are having then Pete?

• Morning Linda,
    Ditto the other responses: We see the odd individual in mild spells in winter.

If I recall correctly (what I've been told), 10 to 12 Celsius should be the lower limit.

Last time I looked (2020), we had a mixed bag of males up in the attic. Judging by the droppings, they're still there.

All the best -
    Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Thanks Dave,
    a will keep watch and see if the wee yin appears late this afternoon again...;-)

• Can't say I've seen any bats recently but they are about as witnessed by the pile of poo on the logs keeping the wood store cover in place. We have two bat boxes on the back of the garage above the wood store and there is a much greater build up of "the stuff" below them than we've seen in recent years. No idea if that means more bats roosting or more bats being active currently.

Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/