Swan

This swan has been on a local pond for several days.  This morning, as I was watching him/her, it left the water and walked along the edge, then walked up a grassy bank and along the path, heading towards me all the time.  I thought this seemed unusual behaviour and wondered if it needed some help in anyway.  Is it possible it's accustomed to being fed by humans?  Can anyone advise please?

• No need to take any action Jaybee, there are occasions when you see a lone swan which could be for a number of reasons including having lost its mate or ousted from a group. You would only need to take action if the swan was showing clear signs of injury/disability. If it looks healthy then no need to worry. We had a lone swan for days staying in the same place on parkland near us and quarter mile from water but after a few days it flew off; apparently it's mate had died so took it a few days to fly on,       This swan might be used to humans if it was coming towards you as they often think you are going to feed them.     

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks for your reply. Yes it was the fact that it was walking towards me that puzzled me. I have often seen lone swans before on this pond but none have ever shown any interest in coming to me.