A Couple of Hours at Barons Haugh

Was a lovely bright morning albeit chilly and with work getting done in the house this week I decided to go a wee wander up to Barons Haugh..hubby had to stay home and work so called upon my darling daughter who quickly agreed to join me as she had a day off..woohoo....new walking boots finally came out the box!

So upon arrival about 10ish was a few cars in the car park but no birds around so off we went down the path to the hides

Lots of lovely sounds on the way...could hear blue tits, great tits and a woodpecker...was thinking have they bloody followed me up here from the garden lol

We stopped near the bottom of the hill as we could see movement in a tree...

A couple of creepers

It was a 1st for my daughter so she was pleased

Bottom of the hill.... this field is usually a wild meadow in Spring (Am wishing it was Spring)

So into the 1st hide and absolutely heehaw!

Lovely sunshine though but a bitter wind also!

So off to the next hide...sun was blinding so it was hard to see and most birds were quite far away...

IDSs welcome as too dark for me to tell!

Even they looked cold!

It was really quiet no even another birder around so off we went to see if we could spot the otters and low and behold we found a few other birders by the river Clyde ....mmm wonder what they see me was thinking so we found a we clearance just before where they all were and a 1st for me....

Little Grebe well that's what am guessing?

And then there were 2...

And a Goosander

Mallard

Moorhen 

Goosander heading back up river

Dive time

Didn't see this sneaky buggar before or after I took the pic!! 

(Am guessing it's a Cormorant)

Socially distant Canada Geese paddle by

It seems all the action was in the Clyde but we decided to try another hide just behind where all the birders where standing, I found out as we passed they were all waiting for the Kingfishers..enjoy your wait guys I have them on canvas in my house heeehee

So up the steps we went into the hide and lots to see..

No idea what but its laughing

Teal?

Goldeneye 

And more with a tufty?

Black headed gull

My favourite pics of the day

Someone having a big splash!

Heron incoming

And a lovely coot

Time to call it a day and head home for a much needed cuppa...but couldn't resist a couple more shots on the river lol

And then had to stop again!!!

Mr & Mrs Bully having their lunch

Bird of prey...Kestrel?

And that concludes our couple of hours in the fresh air. 

Oh it was so so good to get out...sorry for all the pics but there was so much to see!

Hope you all enjoyed and thanks in advance for IDs  ;-)

• Oh, what a lovely set Linda, so glad yo finally got some sunshine Rolling eyes

I think your ducks are Gadwall, if the light is right on them they have wonderfully intricate patterning on their plumage, Trevor got a couple recently I think but I can't remember which thread, soz.

Love the bullies (I saw my first one in ages yesterday... in the drizzle)

Thanks for sharing :o)

• Great set of birds and photos Linda and you are correct with Little Grebe ID, love those little dabbling ducks, Weather has been quite good of late and even if chilly the light has been so much better for photographs, Good to see the Goosanders too and fabulous looking Goldeneye drake. Thanks for sharing your day out, another place to put on our to visit list. LOL
  • A brilliant set of photos of a super sunny day and congratulations to your daughter on her first tree creeper, even if it was bitter cold, and as someone said to me not too long back, you can never take and share too many photos.

Using your photos for reference, and they are only few guesses at the ID's, though there is one I'm confident on.

They look like shoverlor ducks to me, 

Pochard

I'm confident on little grebe

Yep, teal (M)

Many thanks for sharing, and if I'm wrong, we'll both learn something.

• What a fabulous walk Linda and so many birds. Just a tad jealous of your expert Golden Eye, no messing around with id there:-) Love the Little Grebes, one of my favs too, then the Bullies at the end, no stopping you now is there, as Mike says, never too many - unless the computer decides to say otherwise!!!
  • Oh thanking you PB...only had rain late afternoon on Tuesday ;-)

Thanks for the Gadwall ID..if its no a garden visitor am rubbish lol

Aww poor you in the drizzle.....least the bullies would have had you shining on the inside ;-)
  • Thanks Hazel..woohoo my 1st Little Grebe..so tiny and cute!!!...I haven't even started a must visit list yet!!! lol
  • Thanks for IDs Mike...not sure a will remember them for next time though lol
    I think the lighting on the river was just super and a couldn't stop pressing the button on the camera ;-)
  • Thanks Gaynor...Goldeneye is the one I do remember cos it was one of the 1st birds I saw up there on my 1st visit a few years ago. I certainly won't forget Little Grebe as they are adorable ;-)
  • Think yr raptor is a buzzard. Thems ‘Shovellers’ have a bit of a mallardy kiss curl on their bums, though agree the bills look massive so I’m not calling it. Otherwise yr ids seem spot on and some quality spots too. Goldeneyes are frustratingly thin on the ground down here on the south coast, goosanders too.
  • Cheers Internetman the BOP was quite far away hence the crap pic lol....kiss curl bums ...well that's a new one for me lol...