Odds & Sods 2022

It's probably an ideal time to start the 2022 Odds & Sods thread off, with some squabbling starlings....

To view the 2021 thread, click HERE

This pair of starlings were having a right old go at each other, whilst another nipped in to the coconut shell for a food

• The Hardy Bunch.... of finches ...Sleet, wind and freezing cold.....

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• For just a balcony we get a lot of small birds (12 species so far). and there are days when we can count 9 blue tits on their new rspb feeder tray

One latecomer to the tea party ,........

A pair of common buzzards were mewing overhead but too distant for the 300mm reach;     I'm hoping to catch the famous male buzzard  "roller coaster" display at some stage;  only seen it once at our last house and it was spectacular viewing.    Also the courtship display when the pair interlock feet and spiral down together :)

oops,  forgot the moorhen who is below the balcony on the pond -   he likes the swan/duck floating food which he shares with the mallards    Not a great angle to photograph when you are three storeys up. !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Ilove the Buzzard shot Hazel we have been lucky enough to see the display a few times but there again we spend many hours watching them at the nest. We have a pair 300 yards down the road and the way things are looking we should be able to see the nest from the kitchen window, an advantage of looking in a top flat. Not that high though it is only2 floors up

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Not the greatest photo but this is my resident Buzzard.  I think she is still scoping out decent trees after her favourite came down in the October storm 

I've just realised I've not heard them calling yet 

Cin J

• Linda those birds must be so grateful for your feeding center, pat on the back for you keeping it all going for them.:-)

Lot to learn

• Amazing isn't it how a good food supply can attract so many birds in to an area, lovely to see so many blue tits feeding on the tray, I don't get that many in the garden so you are doing well Hazy. Lovely pic of the Buzzard it's beautiful markings showing up perfectly.

Lot to learn

• Caroline your Buzzard looks almost friendly, peering in as if looking for a friend rather than prey:-)

Lot to learn

• A camouflaged skylark:

I came across it suddenly on a walk and it seemed to melt into the background.

• Unknown said:

One latecomer to the tea party ,........

I see someone else has blue tits that are shot out of a cannon!

• A couple of photos from the Wirral (Parkgate) today;    I'm not taking many photos these days as its a bit of a struggle and I missed a close up shot of a Kestrel today as I took too long to locate the bird in the viewfinder to lock on focus in time ..... as it flew off  !      Instead you get a robin from Burton Mere and a Stonechat and Redwing from Parkgate !

it was singing a lot once it had coughed up a pellet.   !!    

male Stonechat;    he was paired up but the female was too distant for photo ops.

my favourite little thrush,  the Redwing

Regards, Hazel