RSPB Conwy 11 November, Armistice Day

Conwy

A last minute weather window again, and yes, I made a break for it, this time to Conwy, a favourite of mine. Mrs PR fears that if it was on our doorstep, she would become an RSPB widow!

She could be right!

The day started off with a hiccup. All ready to leave at 05:45 to beat the M6 traffic and Chester rush hour, a tap washer suddenly decide to go AWOL. Yes AWOL, vamoosed, vanished, spirited  away in to thin air!

There was nothing there of the old one to remove, not even black bits of broken tap washer....

So that cost me an hour, even though the repair time was a lot less than 20 mins, but I caught the M6 and Chester rush hours I aimed to avoid....

Still, all was not in vain, even though the reserve was quiet, it was low tide, high tide wasn't until around 15:00, which I put down to the weather, it was dull, there was an impending weather front heading this way and the wind at times was quite blowy, and lets be fair, any self respecting creature would rather be tucked up nice and cosy...

First sighting was gadwall on the Shallow Lagoon viewed from the Border Screen.

After a while there getting a feel for what could be around, it was time to move on, and a robin flew on to a fence post.

Walking around to the Tal-y-fan hide, all was pretty quiet, not a chirp or cheap from the bushes and trees around, and even viewing across both Deep and Shallow Lagoons, was quiet, so it was around to the Carneddau Hide, but first, a decent autumn glimpse, the shrubs and trees that shield the reserve from the ever busy A55 North Wales Coast road.

Unsurprisingly, the Deep Lagoon was quiet, apart from a few coots and moorhens, but it was nice to take the views in irrespective, not even a little grebe! However, I did notice some ground maintenance work was being undertaken, so that may have added to the quietness of the water.

The Foel Fras screen looked good from the Carneddau Hide once the sun shone on the trees either side

As the eleventh hour was fast approaching, I stayed there the hide to observe the two minute silence, just me and another couple in the hide, before moving on.

Just digressing, I often think of not just those who fought and lost their lives, but also the many animals used to help us get through the wars, pigeons, dogs, horses and many more, of which all played a valuable part in the big team.

Time to move on to the Vadre Screen, and often there are good autumnal views to be seen around this path.

Coed Dolwyd, just the other side of The Ganol, which not only feeds in to the Afon Conwy, but is also a source for topping up the pools on the reserve.

Even the Carneddau Ponies were keeping cosy...

Even from the Vadre Screen things unsurprisingly were quite, apart from a pair of mallard, bottoms up, but Coed Benarth looked good in the sun....

A forlorn looking grey heron on the estuary

A little egret wandering a water channel just before the tide comes in.

Whimbrel

and an air dried whimbrel...

Some moody skies, a mix of sunbeams and showers raining down on the Conwy Valley...

A crow foraging the mudflats

Into the Benarth Hide, all was quiet, but the Carneddau Ponies did give me a brief view, a headless pony to start with!

By now,  the tide was starting to make its presence obvious on the estuary, so the black headed gulls were starting to come in to the Deep Lagoon, viewed from the Benarth Hide

What is this?

Is it a penguin, or a Dr Who Monster!

No, it was an air dried oyster catcher, foraging....

The waters edge is nearer, the tide is now rapidly coming in, and the black headed gulls are accompanied by widgeon and a red shank

It was back on to the reserve, and back to the Border Screen, and male shovelers were busy on the shallow lagoon,

And finally, walking back to the cafe, close to the feeders, a robin

I did see a long tailed tit and great tits n the trees near the feeders, but they were only going one way, yes, to the feeders, so no piccies...

But I did get some piccies of blue tits on the feeders

Even though it might have been a quiet day, there's always something to see.

• Another lovley day out you had Mike, they autumnal colours are gorgeous and once again a nice mix of birdies was to be had. Very nice that you had the two minute silence, we must remember. Thanks for sharing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lynn L said:
    Another lovley day out you had Mike, they autumnal colours are gorgeous and once again a nice mix of birdies was to be had. Very nice that you had the two minute silence, we must remember. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, and we must never forget so many lives lost for our freedom, and in more recent conflicts as well.

On a happier note, the autumn colours were beautiful, particularly on the few occasions when the sun made an appearance, and as ever, always a good day.

• Michael B said:
    On a happier note, the autumn colours were beautiful, particularly on the few occasions when the sun made an appearance, and as ever, always a good day.

Beautiful Mike, and Thank you

,tis always good to see surrounding areas, appreciate.

• Thanks so much for sharing these Mike!
  • Lovely pics and commentary Mike, the colours this year have been quite spectacular and make beautiful pictures. Lovely to see the Whimbrel and L. Egret and of course the Robin.

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    Lovely pics and commentary Mike, the colours this year have been quite spectacular and make beautiful pictures. Lovely to see the Whimbrel and L. Egret and of course the Robin.

Thank you Gaynor.

I missed the waggies this time, they were nowhere to be seen, but good to see you saw them on your beach visit.

• Oops..nearly missed this one Mike :-(
    Love the penguin lol..looks like you had a good day out albeit a rather quiet one...you always seem to find a pony for me ;-).....thanks for sharing your day

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Linda257 said:
    Oops..nearly missed this one Mike :-(

Love the penguin lol..looks like you had a good day out albeit a rather quiet one...you always seem to find a pony for me ;-).....thanks for sharing your day

A pony or two is always guaranteed at Conwy, usually more. The reserve liaises with local farms who have Carneddau Ponies, a very local breed just in the hills and mountains on the literally on the back door. The ponies are a perfect and natural way to keep the scrub down and provide a nice visitor attraction.

• Lovely pics, Mike--thanks. There are a couple of Carneddau Ponies who occasionally get onto the rail line that runs past the Glaslyn Wildlife Centre. Not sure if that only happens when someone leaves a gate open or not, but I have seen it a couple of times on their live streaming. Luckily, they are spotted by the driver and the train slows to allow them to gallop ahead of the train until they can escape at one of the roads which crosses the line. Apparently they are from a herd somewhere in Snowdonia National Park.

Kind regards, Ann

• Hi Mike,
    Another lovely set featuring splendid Autumn colour this time.
    Spring and Autumn are my favourite times of year to be out with the camera and early and late Autumn light is about the best and you don't have to get up really early or stay out really late to get it. Thanks for sharing another place I haven't got to yet.
    Best Wishes,
    Trevor