Fallow Deer at Charlecote Park

After an unsettled weeks weather, there was a break in the showers Sunday 3rd October, so I grabbed the moment and made the great escape.

With the rain the local reserves would have been wet underfoot, so I felt a trip to see some deer might be a worthwhile one, and a 30 minute drive down the road, is Charlecote Park, where they have fallow deer, and always a good sight to see. However, I anticipated that the parkland would be closed for public safety in view of the rutting season, so I was very surprised it was open to the public.

For me, and knowing to keep a sensible distance, it wasn't a problem, and the vast majority of visitors did the same, and stuck to the paths, while the deer kept to their part of the parkland.

The sun shone over a magnificent gatehouse to Charlecote House

And the nearby Church of St Lawrence, always a splendid vie in my book

As soon as I had taken the photo of the church, I heard rustling noises behind me, and I was totally taken by surprise, and pleasantly so, by the sight of fallow deer so close to the public!

The noises I heard were the deer slowly and calmly meandering and eating, with the occasional antler display

A little further down the avenue, and to my right was another few fallow deer, lying down and keeping their beady eyes on me and others passing by...

Once down the long avenue to the gatehouse and through the courtyard and out on to the parkland, there were lots of fallow deer calmly getting on with feeding, sticking to their part of the park, allowing folk to walk along the paths.

I stopped to watch four grey herons, which were photobombed by a cormorant that decided to fly through as I took this photo.....

And then, movement in the nearby wooded area, a rather mature looking buck keeping tabs on his hareem.......

The light was good, tripod set up and shutter remote release connected, with a check on the camera settings, mainly to ensure I didn't take too many photos, I just grabbed a few shots

The next photos were clear enough to be cropped

He was displaying some impressive headgear....

And at times, using his antlers to keep the does in check!

As you can see from the YouTube video on the following link: https://youtu.be/PnbufLrjUok

After a few more photos, it was time to move along and see what else was to be viewed from the path, and as I got to the next batch of fallow deer, the buck from earlier has ushered his does to this batch!

Time for a lay down and build the reserves back up.... https://youtu.be/N5cfAQHCdAw

Along with the rest...

It was time to let the wipple snappers know who's boss.

And finally, this one buck seems to have his eye on the more mature buck, but kept his distance, a good 200 mtrs or so, but the eyes were agaze in that direction, no matter what, following  the mature bucks moves.

Sadly, no proper rutting opportunities, however, the master buck did seem to chase off some does, and quite forcefully too. But the photo opportunities were good, and the opportunity to try the 100-400 lens out using the 5D4 as a video camera, was a good opportunity, all I need to do is learn to be steadier at moving the camera and lens on the tripod.

• One video I forgot to add: Young fallow deer wandering the parkland.

https://youtu.be/9SsJzJXkn3o

• Lovely photos/footage Mike; I haven't had time to visit Tatton Park for months so must try fit in a visit to see the Red and Fallow deer which should be full on now that rutting season has begun. They are magnificent animals.
  • Good to see your photos and video clips Mike, you had some nice views of all the fallow deer getting ready for the season.
  • Unknown said:
    Lovely photos/footage Mike; I haven't had time to visit Tatton Park for months so must try fit in a visit to see the Red and Fallow deer which should be full on now that rutting season has begun. They are magnificent animals.

Thank you Hazel.

The video was a first attempt with the 5D4 and 100-400 lens, all I need to do is be smoother with the panning on the tripod, but otherwise, I'm more than happy.

I did try the 5D4 with the Sigma 150-600, but the audio was drowned by the focusing motor on the Sigma, plus you could hear when zooming in and out, but not on the Canon 100-400 lens.

I thnk a lot of places have been missed a bit with Covid, but now should be a good time to get to Tatton.

• gaynorsl said:
    Good to see your photos and video clips Mike, you had some nice views of all the fallow deer getting ready for the season.

Thank you Gaynor. As you will probably have seen in my reply to Hazel, the video was a first attempt with the 5D4 and 100-400 lens. I wanted to try the video out at Conwy, but the wind was just a bit too much and would have drowned any sound out. Next time, weather permitting.

• Hi Mike,
    Looks like it was a beautiful day for photography, with some excellent crisp pictures of the deer as a result.
    We have a Deer Park just up the road from where we live, only been there 900 years and with strong royal connections. With having to be cautious until we dare venture out of the village to refuel we are staying local and will have to give it a look.
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring.
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    Hi Mike,

Looks like it was a beautiful day for photography, with some excellent crisp pictures of the deer as a result.
    We have a Deer Park just up the road from where we live, only been there 900 years and with strong royal connections. With having to be cautious until we dare venture out of the village to refuel we are staying local and will have to give it a look.
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring.
    Trevor

Thank you Trevor.

Charlecote dates back to and has links with Elizabeth I. and also links with Shakespeare who lived just down the road in Stratford-on-Avon, and the Lucy family still live there, but in a small wing on the south side of the house.

Thankfully here, the fuel situation seems to be stabilising out, so hopefully things will where you are soon.

• Ooh, not sure how I missed this Mike. Fab stills of striking beasties! At work so not watched vids yet, equally spectacular I imagine, even if it is experimental! Thanks for sharing
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Ooh, not sure how I missed this Mike. Fab stills of striking beasties! At work so not watched vids yet, equally spectacular I imagine, even if it is experimental! Thanks for sharing

Thank you PB, I hope the still brightened your day at work. The vids were taken at full 400mm while the stills, also at 400mm but heavily cropped, so the vids will give a clear indication of distance from the deer.