Swifts, Swallows & Martins, share your photos and videos here

For many of us, swifts, swallows and house/sand martins will be swooping and chasing after insects. They're not the easiest of birds to capture in flight, however, feel free to share whatever photos or videos you get here.

I'm happy to report, I've seen the first swifts here, a bit late, but they've arrived, and hoping in the next week or two to go and see some swallows.

• TJS said:

Hi Mike,

You're getting there, I haven't managed anything as clear with Swifts in flight yet and the only ones of Swallows in flight are of take off shots as I've shared before.

This is a favourite pair showing post envy.

Lovely photos Trevor.

Swifts are difficult to capture in flight, and I'll be honest, try as hard as I do, I still feel a lot is down to luck (99%), with some assistance from very amateur judgement (1%).

Keep trying, you know the old saying, "practice makes perfect"....

• A spot of early morning urban/back garden birding yesterday (Sunday 18th), and snapped this swift in flight

• A recent trip to Burton Mere with Hazel & Mike

If the flies didn't get  us, this swallow seemed to be aiming for us!

Mixed flocks, of swallows,

Preparing the plumage for that long flight darn sarf....

Oi, oo you lokin' at?

parents and youngsters....

and house martins

• The swifts have been very active, but they seem to be flying lower and slower at the moment.

This one is heavily cropped.

• Well done on your Swift photos Mike, I wonder if the insects are flying low in this hot weather, the Swallows in the back fields are also whizzing past low down, maybe when the rain comes it will all change.
  • gaynorsl said:
    Well done on your Swift photos Mike, I wonder if the insects are flying low in this hot weather, the Swallows in the back fields are also whizzing past low down, maybe when the rain comes it will all change.

Thank you Gaynor.

I'll confess, it was a bit easier this time as they were flying lower and slower, but still challenging all the same.

• A recent visit to Charlecote Park to see the house martins

I'm not sure what happened there, but there was no obvious signs of any airborne collisions, just the illusion....

The light didn't favour many inflight photos, this was the best and against a cloud laden sky.

• A few more from our swifts before they fly south, any day now, and who have been busy the last couple of days (3rd & 4th).

5th August, probably due to the inclement weather, no sight or sound from the swifts so far today.

• A recent visit to RSPB Conwy, and some lunchtime excitement, as I sat down for lunch at the Ynys Screen, again like Vadre, being outdoors there were no dividing screens and also a nice quiet part of the reserve, just perusing across the Deep Lagoon, the sun came out, and swoosh!

The martins (most likely house martins) were swooping over the water....

It  was a case of

• The sun is out
    • The insects are out
    • The martins were out

What a teasing and fantastic lunchtime view.

A selection of out-of-focus photos, watch the insect circled...

Damn, missed it!

The next one was too out-of-focus, but the house martin starts to climb fast ready for the next victim....

Like this one here....

• Hi Mike,
    A stunning set of action shots over the water, better than anything I've managed. I occasionally see Swallows and Martin's skimming for insects but they hardly ever do repeat runs to give you half a chance of capturing them.
    Well done with these shots, pin sharp focus on such a fast moving small bird is almost Impossible.
    Trevor