Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2021

I see there are already photos of damselflies, so it probably time to kickstart the 2021 thread

Last years thread, started by  Noisette, thank you for last years thread, I hope you don't mind my starting the 2021 thread. You can look back here, Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2020

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/207154/dazzling-damsels-and-dragons-2020

My first sightings of banded damselflies for 2021, but there will be more to come

And a second visit to Middleton Lakes, and the banded damselflies suddenly came from nowhere!

• Thanks Mike for getting this going 

My first Beautiful Demoiselle of the year

Cin J

• Germain said:

Thanks Mike for getting this going 

My first Beautiful Demoiselle of the year

You're welcome, and what better than a banded demoiselle of the year.

• Nothing as exotic as a banded demoiselle but did spot these three on the residential parkland pond area;    only had the zoom lens  which had an extender on so will return with 100mm next time.    Sun was also behind the subject

Think this is a female Broad Bodied Chaser

Wrong angle to get the details of the thorax area but if it is same species as last year it will be an Azure damselfly

Large Red damselfly ?

Regards, Hazel 

• A fascinating group to look for at this time of year when birds are getting quieter. Chris got quite good at the id of damsels and dragons over the last couple of summers.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Had my first good views of Damselflies and Chasers recently, the last picture is of 4 in one shot, not sure of the species.

Azure Damselflies, I think, putting the next generation in our pond.

Wings out for a change, just in the act of taking off.

Male Broad Bodied Chaser.

In the act of taking off.

The problem of being low down in the food chain, being very pretty to look at is no protection.

Best Regards

Trevor

• Cracking photos folks, and Trevor, I only hope those damsel that met their demise, had some passion before the wagtail snaffled them....

A large red came visiting on Wednesday looking for somewhere to mate, and lay eggs. Sadly, not a very damsel/dragon friendly pond due to the netting over it to protect the fish from predation.

But mate it did, I hope they managed to find a pond or somewhere suitable to lay the eggs.

• Great photos Trevor.  

There was a mass  damselfly hatching yesterday when we down at the lake working the dogs.  Lots of Sand Martins and Swallows hawking them, should have some dragons soon 

I think these are all Common Blue 

Cin J

• We met up with my big sister the other day,first time since last September even though she just lives in the next dale, and on a walk round our local patch we saw several Banded Demoiselles and a couple of Chasers just emerging in a little pond.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Another pair of large red damsels enjoying the sun!

• 4 spotted Chaser Dragonfly

Regards, Hazel