What’s your favourite bird/birds?

Hello, I’ve been birding since September last year (a newbie) and I wanted to get other people’s opinions on their favourite bird/birds. If COVID wasn’t here I would ask in person, but since we’re in lockdown, I thought I would ask on here and start a discussion. You can have more than one favourite bird (depending on different factors) as I think different birds have different personalities. For example, my favourite bird looks wise is a Goldfinch, I think they look really tropical and exotic for a UK bird, but my favourite bird personality wise is a pied wagtail, I have the treat of them visiting when it snows. So what is your favourite bird/birds? (Photos are very welcome) Thanks, Ellis 

Looks wise: Goldfinch 

Personality wise: Pied Wagtail 

• You’re the same as me really, some birds look great whilst some are such characters. Long tails have only visited my garden once but it was such a joy when they did. I’ve never seen a goldcrest in person, what attracts them? (Would love to see one) Think I’ve heard a few on some walks though.
  • I have to say the Robin. A lovely wee bird with a beautiful song, and so brave and trusting in humans, mine have been anyway, flying upto the house when you shout or speak to them and helping themselves to their food in the garage.
    My other favourite is the Osprey, I was so privelaged to see the magnificent EJ at Loch Garten two years running. Never saw the beautiful Odin in person, but have watched plenty coverage of them and their family, since joining here 8 years ago.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A good old classic really. I would love to see an osprey, EJ has the same initials as me haha
  • We need a bit of colour. The Kingfisher is arguably the most exotic looking bird we have in the UK so it's one of my favourites

However, for personality and intelligence the Jay is hard to beat.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• The UK does have its fair share of colourful birds, surprising for a place full of grey clouds and rain. Nice to see them
  • Hmmmmm ......... high time we had some seabird representation:

Here's a herring gull with a suitable snack!

Every year we make a pilgrimage up to Bempton Cliffs to see these magnificent gannets!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• And me Ellis!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Is that a very small crab or a big gull haha?
  • I’ll have to look at going to see one near to me, don’t think it’ll be long until I’ll be able to
  • I felt very lucky to have the goldcrest visiting my garden, I can’t really say what brought it there, maybe just seeing all the other birds made it want to investigate. I saw it fly off into the distance a couple of times, heading away from all the others to a cedar tree about seventy metres away where as most of the others turn right from my garden to the big conifer or round the side of the building to a yew tree across the road. She was quite brave though, landing on the fat ball feeder whilst I was there topping up the seed feeders. All the other birds had scarpered.
    The long tails appeared late last summer, six of them and have been ever present until about two weeks ago when they have found something more important to do. Two of them are quite brave and come quite close to me while the others watch from inside the forsythia. It’s lovely listening to them and hearing their wing beats.