Last of the Annual Leave

So having negotiated the last of my annual leave, and with the weather set fair, I went down to Arne, early doors, to see what there was to see, hopefully a Dartford Warbler or two, as comment had been made about them displaying yesterday.

I was greeted by Mrs Feisty

As I walked along the path, there was a loud crashing sound from the other side of the gorse, I'm not sure who was more surprised!

It was perhaps a bit chilly, but there was little to see along the 1st part of the trail. I could hear a woodpecker and various Tits and the inevitable chiffchaff (hang on Nige, I didn't see any until a bit later!) A phalanx of formational Shelduck flew by, in two groups

There's a viewing screen about half way round that looks over Middlebere/Wareham Channel and there were a flock of Godwits, which unfortunately scarpered as I crunched down the path towards it, leaving just poor Billy-No-Mates. Unfortunately the sun was in the wrong place, but with a little doctoring you can just make out the russet plumage

As I turned to head back up the path flittering caught my eye... NIGE!!! (and again I'm claiming it's a willow warbler, coz it's in one!!)

There turned out to be a lot of birds mimicking Dartford Warblers, by sitting atop the gorse bushes

Goldfinch for a start

But they also scrabbled about on the ground

Mrs Stonechat had a go, but on a fence post rather than a gorse bush

And Mr Stonechat alighted on the post next to her

Then the proper impersonation began by Mrs Stonechat

And then Mr Linnet (my 1st of the year) joined in

Accompanied by Mrs

There were two or three Meadow Pipits practising parachuting, but I didn't manage to catch any mid-air

Over on the water side of the path, something put the waders up, I'm not sure what but it was mainly Godwits and a few Curlew that I spotted

Stonechats and Goldfinch were still pretending to be the ever elusive Dartfords!

There were lots of pairs of Mipits chasing eachother around, and sometimes they landed in view!

I'd decided on a second lap, as it had been chilly for the start of the first lap, and as I approached the path to start again... An actual Dartford Warbler... Not the most flattering of views and very brief.. but the first one I've seen for 2 or more years, so happy boy was I, as I started back round Grinning

No deer to startle, or be startled by this time, but, just for Nige.....

As I headed back up the path, some flittering caught my eye in one of the pine trees, a couple of lovely Coal Tits, which is nice, as the one's from our garden appear to have vanished a few weeks ago

As I went round the Stonechats were still playing sill beggars....

But another Dartford popped out (albeit a tad distantly)

Ever aware of the old adage "look behind you" I got a surprise...

I think this is a female Linnet

As I headed back to the car park and gorgeous Chaffinch started singing

And was soon joined by Mr Blackcap

Not bad, I thought, for a morning's wander (the car park was packed as I left, so glad I tend to go out early!!)

Wednesdays weather looks ok, so I may venture to the river as the flooding has subsided, or I may make my first venture of the year up one of the Hills. Or I may sit on my bum and read a book!!

Stay Safe All

• Since Fiona Reynolds former Director General of The Nat Trust, stood down, I've seen a lot of very questionable changes, many I see more from a commercial aspect than conservation.

I accept they need to make money, with the added default this is becoming a more aggressive world, so bullying of that nature has been a recent thing, but not uncommon. A sad sign (one of too many I see) of the times.