Last walk of the winter

As the metrological office has decided that Spring begins tomorrow and today's weather was so spring like we decided for a walk round one of our oldest local patches. I have been doing bird counts and surveys on this patch ever since we moved to the flat over 40 years ago so we know it fairly well by now. It is prone to flooding from the local river Ure but had dried out fairly well with the sun and wind of the last few days. Along one hedge near a mobile home site we had both House and Tree Sparrows taking advantage of the feeders as well as Chaffinch, Blue Tit and Great Tit.Tree Sparrows and Chaffinch are fairly rare on our little patch so it was nice to see them. Along the Green Lane we had Sparrowhawk chasing, and missing, Dunnocks and Long Tailed Tits which were far too agile for the Hawk. After visiting a pond behind the golf course we headed for home along the river which seemed to have changed course a little over the winter and the bank where Sand Martins nest has been washed away, hopefully they will find another nest site this year. A pond not fat from home seemed full of birds today with good number of Teal and Coot, an odd manky Mallard seemed to have returned to join the real Mallard and to top it off we had 2 Little Egrets. A great afternoon out, a bit muddy in places but we  feel so lucky to have these little gems so n ear to home. 

• Good luck with the check up, Pete
    On the recording side, only the other day I received a newsletter about ringing BHG's in the NW because I've reported a couple of sightings so they have my e-mail. They say that despite the difficulties, they have had the best year for ringing and so they re-introduced the Newsletter! You might be amazed where our BHG's get to ... or come from. One is apparently 30 years old! Maybe we take them a bit too much for granted being so common.
  • The results from ringing make fascinating reading. Our local ringers group, of which I am not a member but follow closely, have been ringing wintering Thrushes with great results on one of my local patches birds I did know were present.