It's a Hard Life Being a Fish!

Some more from my back catalogue of unposted photos, also hopefully showing properly this time, thanks to TeeJay if they are.

Sad end for a fine mature Tench, it put up quite a struggle and it was a good 20 minutes before it was swallowed

Another fine specimen, a Roach this time, losing out to a Bittern at Minsmere. Sadly it walked off into the reeds to swallow it in private.

This Kingfisher took the best part 20 minutes before she finally swallowed this Roach after getting it nearly all the way down then bringing up again, bashing it about and trying again, at least 3 times .

This little "fishie" thought it had escaped from the Little Grebe, sadly for the Roach (or possibly Rudd), one more dive and it was all over.

Kingfishers with more appropriate sized fish, the second one a very quick dispatch

The end of another large fish, although small for a Pike.

The end of a small Flounder or Dab in the River Deben.

It's a hard life being a fish.

Trevor

• TJS said:
    hopefully showing properly this time, thanks to TeeJay if they are.

No afraid not, Trevor. I've taken the liberty of downloading your photo of the Heron and reposted it using the Browse dialogue box with dimensions set to 800x0. As you can see it is sharp so I'm not sure what you did.

Notwithstanding your uploading difficulties you've got a cracking set of photos. Your Panasonic G9 produces some excellent images when you view them in full resolution

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Nice selection, TJS, and yes, poor fish, but everything has to eat something. But no Osprey? Surely merely an oversight--lol! As for photography, sorry, I know nothing, sadly, and can only admire anyone who does.

Kind regards, Ann

• Hello Tony,
    I've tried again using the 800x0 dimensions as you suggested.
    Fingers crossed, lookout for Kingfishers Pair Bonding.
    Thanks again,
    Trevor
  • Good luck, Trevor. This forum and posting photos is not the easiest. A lot of us been tearing our hair out from time to time.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Amazing photos Trevor and talk about biting off more than you can chew - those birds weren't going to go hungry !

Regards, Hazel 

• Fantastic photos Trevor, and one of my favourite birds, the Little Grebe, yes I know the Kingie is beautiful but there is something about the L. Grebe that gets me right there:-)

Lot to learn

• Brilliant photos Trevor, being in the right place at the right time comes to mind. Its amazing the size of some of the fish that the birds manage to swallow.
  • The two Heron pictures and Little Grebe were entertaining me while I was waiting for the Kingfishers (see Kingfishers Pair Bonding) to put on their show, very much an exercise in patience. The Little Grebe caught the fish right in front of the hide
    Trevor
  • You know your fish species as well, do you do a bit of fishing as well ?
  • I used to go fishing all the time in my teens and early twenties then it slowly tailed of and I haven't been for many years but I do remember most of my fish. The Tench was a particularly fine specimen of a very slow growing and not so common fish and I was sad to see it go like that, a bit like seeing a raptor bring a particularly rare bird to the nest on TV.
    Trevor