Bold Robin

There is a Robin that regularly appears whenever I'm near my workshop where I fill the bird feeders and every now and then it takes a mealworm from the hand. This morning I managed some photos of the Robin taking a mealworm from my wife's hand The pictures are a bit grainy as it was early and the light was not good so had to use a very high ISO to get the shutter speed up high enough but pleased with the results none the less.

• More fabulous photos Trevor, and I was fascinated with the pellet photos.

• Great photos, but I think I can get a better one. My 'friendly' robin flies into my office and perches on the chair next to me. However I do have mystery? For the first time in my life I have seen 'my' robin feed a fledged new robin early this March (2021). I can only assume with climate change and the mild winters they have nested in winter. At first I just thought it was a robin feeding a prospective mate, or even a older robin but after seeing it closer many times it's clearly a recently born robin. Has anyone else seen something like this?
    I live and work in Eversley, Hampshire which has a very mild climate being in the Blackwater Valley which feeds the Thames valley, but robins nesting over winter, I am shocked.
  • Our Robin is now definitely part of a couple, and he flies off with mealworms for his partner every time we feed him.

Sometimes she's quite close and sometimes a little way off, but always under cover in the hedge or under a bush with no intention of allowing a photo opportunity. I can see the hand-over through the hedge and mostly he seems to take the biggest mealworms for her, sometimes two at a time, and sits on my hand and mops up the smaller worms for himself.

Hello, do you like mealworms?

A quick pose for photo opportunity.

With the fine sunny weather recently I managed to get some much higher shutter speed action shots.

Trevor

• Cracking photos Trevor, lovely to see them pairing up and feeding each other, hopefully you will get the young ones later.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• What brilliant pics Trevor, and you are very lucky to see the female participating in the feeding, hopefully it will continue and you will get to see some youngsters later on.

Lot to learn

• Brian that is very odd to see a young robin this time of the year. You need the Maestro on here to help you in asking any questions about Robins, If he sees your post he might have heard of early nesting, if you see his name come up in a post maybe pop a question to him then. He goes by the name of MC or Monkey Cheese,, and is well known for his affinity with Robins over the years.

Lot to learn

• Brian that is very odd to see a young robin this time of the year. You need the Maestro on here to help you in asking any questions about Robins, If he sees your post he might have heard of early nesting, if you see his name come up in a post maybe pop a question to him then. He goes by the name of MC or Monkey Cheese,, and is well known for his affinity with Robins over the years.

Lot to learn

• Great action shots, especially the penultimate one and nice to see them paired up.

Nige   Flickr

• Amazing shots Trevor

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• A lovely collection of photos Trevor, you've certain got the robin eating nicely from the palm of your hand.